Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anybody have a picture of the brake lines (front to back) under the car and under the hood of their 65 with disc brakes?
I am installing the brake lines on my 65 and in need of help.
Thanks
Tom

G

·
0 Posts
brake lines install the same as drum brakes except the distribution block has 3 fittings instead of 4 and there's a proportioning valve. If the car has dual exhaust the rear mount is different where it hooks to the brake hose.

G

·
0 Posts
If you are re-doing the brakes, now would be a good time to switch to dual master cylinder, last weekend I could have taken pictures of my stock 65 brake lines and MC; but I almost got my new steel lines ran and a new dual MC put on my '65.

FYI - I used a manuel dual master cylinder from a 76 Granada (which is a bolt on replacement for my '65, included a new MC push rod all for $15 at my auto parts store) with porportioning valve as I am doing the the Granada front drum to disc conversion. You will need the valve to achieve a higher leval of safety as it allows you to lose the brakes on say the front and not lose the back brakes. The stock 65's brake system is one circuit so if a flex line on the front breaks you will lose all your brakes. Dual master cylinder upgrade is must unless you drive your Mustang to car shows on a trailer

On the standard single "jar" MC there is one outlet to a block which splits to three line (the two front tires and one line to the back which then splits at the rear to the two back wheels) to my knowledge if you have drum brakes all around, the block is just a simple splitter, is does not regulate the amount of flow to the back or front unlike newer cars esp with front disc's that allow a higher pressure to the front. As I recall, disc brakes require higher pressure around 10 pounds while drum brakes only need about 3 pounds. It's popular to install a adjustable valve so you can control the braking pressure from front to rear (ordo those burnouts with your front brakes locked and none on the back....).

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Hi, Just a comment endorsing your post. The 65 4 wheel manual drum brake setup (which I have, see post above, grrrr) using a brass block to distribute brake fluid between the two front brakes and to send fluid to the rear, where it is split by a block which bolts onto the axle via the breather tube fitting. FYI, the 6 cylinder rear lines are different than the 8 cylinder because an different axle housing/rear end is used and the breather tube is located about 2 inches more towards the driver's side on the 8 cylinder compared to the 6 cylinder.

It's great to learn that the 76 granada mc is a bolt up. I bought a FORD service replacement 67 m/c, still in the Ford box. I plumbed the rear brakes directly to the front reservoir of the 67 m/c. I am posting separately my brake woes, perhaps you can check it out and give me some feedback.

Thanks,

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Charles. I'm progressing on my '64 1/2. Pictures to post soon. Q: I am considering a move to the SSB Disc brake conversion from the stock drums. To keep a completely original appearance for showing, can you tell me what proportioning valve to use instead of the adjustable type? I found a correct single res MC, but I'm told I need a proportioning valve. Is this integrated into the distribution block or is it seperate for early mustangs?

best,

Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts