Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I've just gotten my AOD installed (from an 87 Mustang GT, all stock) and am looking for recommendations for the rear end. Presently has the stock 8", 3:00, open. Suggestions on gearing? Can the 8" handle 350 FWHP (not now, maybe down the road ;))? Car is a cruiser, not a strip car. Thanks for the input!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Your 8 inch should be fine with that HP number.
I have an AOD and a 4.11 in the rear. My cruise RPMS are 2400-2800 depending on the speed I drive and I get lotsa umph off the line.

If you want to maximize the economy and just have a little fun on the line a 3.55 gear is a good choice. Ultimately the rear gear choice has as much to do with your tranny and what you car's operating RPMS are. Have you ever dynoed the car or do you have a fairly good idea of what the power band is for your car?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply. The car is presently all stock (Edelbrock 1406), however, I'm looking into upgrading either with a modern 302 roller motor or an Edelbrock Performer package (cam, heads, intake, headers, etc.) on the original 289, so 350 FWHP is more than sufficient (realistic!). I realize I'll also have to consider tire diameter. Car is a street/cruiser with no strip intentions (hey, it's a convertible! ::). I wonder how much $$ to convert my rear to a posi with different gearing?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Denver here on the VMF sets up rear. He has done 2 for me.
The first was an 8 inch 3.55 with traklok and the second was a 9 inch with 4.11 and trak lok.

You can realistically get a new pumpkin ready to drop in and run for $800.

My brothers 65 with has 3.25 in the rear with no overdrive and a warmed up 289 and it has a lot of pep off the line...an OD gear would let him run a steeper gear easy and then it would feel even better.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
You could get by with 4.11s, but 3.55s would be nearly ideal for a daily driver, non-track car.
I had good luck with Mike's Custom Differentials in Valley Springs, CA (209-772-2880). He built me a 3.25 posi for $437.00 delivered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts