Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my rebuilt 302 and without going into great detail what I have in it, let's just say that the goal was to get as highest HP out of it. I need suggestions for a waterpump/fuel pump and possibly a flexfan/spacer to match up to this mainly street/occasional track used motor. While looking at a Summit catalog, I was thinking about going with one of Edelbrock's waterpump(EDL-8843) and fuelpump (EDL-1725) but had no idea for a fan or just stay with the stock fan and spacer.

What route would you go?????? Thanks,

So here

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
IMHO you should without a doubt go with electric Spal fan set up, I even think Street and track has deal on them this month if not mistaking.

I've gone alot of routes to keep my 65 Cool enough to enjoy both on track and in heavy traffic Cruise situations. Currently running there dual fan set up with super huge Griffin custome radtior and finally seems to work well.

One thing you do have to consider is they do have suggnificant draw of power, you may consider upgrading battery to Optima Blue if you go this route, also IMO I like manual switch for fan rather than running off thermostat, keeps me watching gauges more often and also when I don't need it not using power but just my .02

As far as Waterpump Iam running Edlebrock and very happy with it.

Mark

·
Registered
522 Posts
I ran a perma cool hp electric fan and had little success with it keeping my 331 cool. I have not had any experience with the spal fans though, so I cannot comment on them. I will tell you that I switched over to a 7 blade belt driven fan, and that thing pulls an amazing amount of air. My car doesn't heat up on 100 degree days in traffic, and I don't even have a shroud on it yet. (This is with a standard dimension 3-row radiator) Although it probably robs a little bit of power (not much since it is hooked to the wp on my car), I found it convenient since there is no wiring and switches and all that which comes along with an electric fan. I'm sure some of the electric fans work quite well, but the right belt driven fan is also an alternative.

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
SPAL 16" puller fan.
Griffin HD radiator (with offset mounts to move the radiator into the support).
March pulley set (NOT underdrive).
PowerMaster 140amp alternator (I chose polished aluminum).
Edelbrock water pump.
NO fan on water pump.
Electric fuel pump, in-tank if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts