Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

Let's see em! :)

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)

·
Registered
681 Posts
These are probably the best pics I have of mine. Torque Thrust II in 17x7” with 4” BS and 205/50/17 in the front and 17x8, 4.81”, and 235/45/17 in back. Everything fit perfect. Swapping them out for color change only.

Suspension is 4.5 mideye leafs in back with GT/GT350 coils and Arning drop in the front. Bilstein shocks all around.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Dan Babb is using 17" on his '65. There are some photos on about pg9 of his build log.

Reactions: Dan Babb

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Not a great picture, but here's one for you.

These are Cragar eliminators 500G...no longer made though. Specs are:
CRAGAR 500G Eliminator Gray/Mach Lip
17x7 1/2. 4.5" backspace. They only came in this backspace. I would have gotten an 8" wheel if they had a different backspace option (I think 4.25" is ideal for an 8" wheel )
Tires I have are 225/45R-17 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL

Car isn't on the road yet, but I've compressed the suspension and they clear fine.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
363 Posts
Neither of these are great pics....Im lowering the rear more(just got the springs in) and yes the Mustang on the fender is all goobered up, long story...
17x8 4.75 BS all around 225/45 front 245/45 rear. Arning drop, SoT front suspension, Global West front and rear springs and Konis.

·
Registered
10,828 Posts
17x8x4.75 squared and your golden .a as for pics mine have 225/45/17 and your planning 215/50 so will look very different

·
Dimples
4,653 Posts
17x8x4.75 squared and your golden.
I would consider this the gospel.

As for those new styled steel looking wheels, my friend has them on his 65 vert and they look fantastic. They have some edges to them that are rounded on the original wheel, and to my eye, it ends up making it look like what it is, a milled wheel instead of something that was stamped out of a sheet of metal. The overall design translates very well.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Those 17" legendary wheels DO look fantastic. It's between those, a modern Magnum 500 style, or the classic gray Torque Thrust IIs for me.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,513 Posts
The more I see 17s, the more I think 16s are right for me. To each their own, but I have to have more sidewall.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
On a 65-68 a 225/60/15 or 205/70/14 looks best to me. When I was in HS the hot ticket was a F70-14.

I like the big wheels and low profile tires, but on a classic Mustang, I still like the sidewall better.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The more I see 17s, the more I think 16s are right for me. To each their own, but I have to have more sidewall.
I understand that 16s won't clear the upper ball joint if the wheel has the correct amount of backspace (4.75"). If this is incorrect, someone please advise.

Reactions: c6fastback

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
For the kind of driving you do I doubt you will be happy with the ride quality with “0” ring tires on 17’s.
Also plan for wheel replacements from pot hole damage.

17’s and 18’s may be fine for the billiard table roads in sunny Cal but in the real world for those who actually put miles on their cars they are not a great choice.
Modern car suspensions are engineered for large diameter wheels not so vintage cars.
Me I'm sticking to 15" for my driving requirements.

Reactions: 66Ccode and indygta

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
363 Posts
For the kind of driving you do I doubt you will be happy with the ride quality with “0” ring tires on 17’s.
Also plan for wheel replacements from pot hole damage.

17’s and 18’s may be fine for the billiard table roads in sunny Cal but in the real world for those who actually put miles on their cars they are not a great choice.
Modern car suspensions are engineered for large diameter wheels not so vintage cars.
Me I'm sticking to 15" for my driving requirements.
My car rides amazing and I live in Illinois. Roads are questionable here lol. Sidewalls are more than adequate IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Given a few of the comments above about 16" as an alternative I thought I would post mine. The signature pic has 16"x7" wheel (Eagle 192 series, 5.434 in backspacing with a 1" adapter so 4.434" net backspacing), and the tire is a 205x60x16.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Kelly:
As for the sidewall opinions, I initially ran 235/45x17s front and 245/45x17s rear but had some fender scrubbing. I attribute that to 4.25 backspacing on 17"x8" wheels (not enough). I decided to go with taller, narrower tires (225/50x17's front and 235/50x17's rear on the same wheels) that seemed to open up space with the fenders and as a benefit slightly softer sidewalls. As you know, the myth about smooth California roads ignores the fact that many urban roads are no better than the potholed Northeast due to politicos supplanting road taxes for other pet projects.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts