Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Kelly, you know all the guys with mustang Steve are running big tires and brakes. You might want to check his site and do a search there. I can’t comment on the 65/66 part of your question. But you know...I’ve got 17x7 245/45/17s on the 70. They are factory 04 Mach 1 rims with about 5.75 backspace. I run 1 inch spacer on front, and 3/4” on rear. No rubbing. I’ve got the drop, Moog 8534 (BB) coils in front, 5 leaf reverse eye in rear. no rub, but I have about 1-1.5 inches or gap between tires and fender. I dont have front tires tucked in the fenders like Steve and friends.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ratlee,

Could you please share your suspension setup, and the tire size?

Kelly,

I am looking at the Legendary SSW as well. Torn between diameters however, so anxious to see what you select. Not wanting to hijack the thread, I will watch from sidelines for now.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

Let's see em! :)

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)
Not the best pictures, I looked at several styles, these were a new design last year, I think they
IMG_7050.jpg
have a vintage look to them and are different from the usual choices.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jeez Kelly, I'd be the first to admit that early Ford rear ends are nice, EXCEPT for those funky rear brakes. That's why I changed mine. Get you a set of these;

You can get good parts for them anywhere as they are just modern f150 brakes. You already have the proportioning valve to dial them in perfect.

Spend the money on good new tires and Master and drive on! For as many road trips as you take, 17's have got to ride rougher under all conditions. But they sure look neat just sitting there....

My 2 cents FWIW..........

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I would consider this the gospel.

As for those new styled steel looking wheels, my friend has them on his 65 vert and they look fantastic. They have some edges to them that are rounded on the original wheel, and to my eye, it ends up making it look like what it is, a milled wheel instead of something that was stamped out of a sheet of metal. The overall design translates very well.
Any change you could get your buddy to send you a pic and tire specs? :) I'd love to see them.

Here is a pic of my 65 wearing 17x7 lengendary wheels. View attachment 747823 View attachment 747824
Awesome! Those do look great, don't they. I'm really pleased to see that they tuck back into the wheel wells pretty well. What size tires are you running? I'd like to get away with as much sidewall as possible.

For the kind of driving you do I doubt you will be happy with the ride quality with “0” ring tires on 17’s.
Also plan for wheel replacements from pot hole damage.

17’s and 18’s may be fine for the billiard table roads in sunny Cal but in the real world for those who actually put miles on their cars they are not a great choice.
Modern car suspensions are engineered for large diameter wheels not so vintage cars.
Me I'm sticking to 15" for my driving requirements.
While I would prefer to keep a 15" on there cosmetically, the flip side of your argument is that the selection of 15" tires that's available in a high performance sticky compound these days is very, very low. When I go to TireRack and put in a 215/65/15 or a 215/60/15 and select for performance all season tires, I get back TWO options - one is the BFG Radial TA (which will never go on my car again), and one is the discontinued Cooper. With as much driving as I do, I need something that performs (without breaking the bank - looking at Zray and his $1400 Avons ;) )

Ratlee,

Could you please share your suspension setup, and the tire size?

Kelly,

I am looking at the Legendary SSW as well. Torn between diameters however, so anxious to see what you select. Not wanting to hijack the thread, I will watch from sidelines for now.
Yep, I feel you! From what I've heard, 16" wheels, while a good compromise between size and tire availability, do not fit our cars as well as 17" wheels do because the rim interferes with the ball joint, keeping you from tucking the tires in closer to the frame. So I'm either between a 15" with crappy tires but the old school look, or a 17" with great tires but a more modern look. It is a surprisingly hard choice to make even though it shouldn't be!

Not the best pictures, I looked at several styles, these were a new design last year, I think they View attachment 747840 have a vintage look to them and are different from the usual choices.
What size tires do you have on there? They look a bit meatier than others posted here.

I have 2004 Cobra disks on the front and 93 Cobra vented disks on the rear the front disks required 17 inch wheels View attachment 747842
What size tire are you running with these?

Thanks for all the replies guys - keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kelly, I'm running 2001 Bullitt Wheels 17x8 with backspacing of 5.72" and a 30mm Offset. The back tires are using a 5mm spacer, and the fronts are using a 1" wheel adapter. The tires for all four are Nitto NT555 235x45x17. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
While I would prefer to keep a 15" on there cosmetically, the flip side of your argument is that the selection of 15" tires that's available in a high performance sticky compound these days is very, very low. When I go to TireRack and put in a 215/65/15 or a 215/60/15 and select for performance all season tires, I get back TWO options - one is the BFG Radial TA (which will never go on my car again), and one is the discontinued Cooper. With as much driving as I do, I need something that performs (without breaking the bank - looking at Zray and his $1400 Avons ;) )

Yep, I feel you! From what I've heard, 16" wheels, while a good compromise between size and tire availability, do not fit our cars as well as 17" wheels do because the rim interferes with the ball joint, keeping you from tucking the tires in closer to the frame. So I'm either between a 15" with crappy tires but the old school look, or a 17" with great tires but a more modern look. It is a surprisingly hard choice to make even though it shouldn't be!
16s fit just fine with 225s, lots of folks, including Brad and myself run them and if the Legendary guys are making Mustang tribute wheels, they are not going to invest in a wheel that will make customers unhappy. If you want go wider then there are issues with getting over the ball joint but 225s are all that's gonna fit correctly on an unmodded 66. I would talk with the Legendary guys, since they make their 16x8s for Mustangs, they are going to be the last word in what fits. 16x8 with 225 50s will blow you away in terms of response and hold compared to what you have. (so will 225 17X8s) 8" is the right width for a 225 to keep the side walls nominally parallel While lots of folks run a 225 on 7s its less than optimal, but frankly, may be fine for the kind of driving you do. However, a good handling Mustang does tend to make a guy/gal want to "bring it", there's room for a few autocross queens in CAM-T.

10mm is almost half (10 vs 12.5mm) an inch wider than your 215s IIRC, so the patch goes up by the area X 4...

YOU WILL SMILE ;o)

·
Registered
229 Posts
What size tires do you have on there? They look a bit meatier than others posted here.
The front tires are 225-45-17 with 17 x 7 wheels, the rears are 255-40-17 on 17 x 8 wheels, both wheels have zero offset. I have no rubbing with no fender rolling. I wanted to go taller on the rear
but I also wanted to run the same manufacture on all 4 wheels. On the rear there is plenty of room to go taller and a small amount to go wider, I did do the poor mans mini tub when I had the car apart.
tire sizes.png

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
You're going to have the same problems as anyone that upgrades to 15" wheels has. i think the tire rub threads compete with overheating in volume. Wrecks, suspension mods, body panel fit and even alignments, sometimes they fit sometimes they don't, It might even be the brand of tire that makes the difference.

Im going to get one of these DORMAN 939137 off a car from the JY.. Go to the other side of town where they sell used tires and pick one to check clearances and be a little more sure before dumping $500 on tires. it will be under $75 to feel better and then have a 17" spare in the end.

Bolt Pattern Diameter114.3 mm
Bore Diameter73 mm
ColorBlack
Dimensions17 x 7
Lug Hole Quantity5

I cant remember and don't feel like hunting it down but the offset is very little and close to "right"

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
mine's on 17's 245/45/17's squared.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I’m pretty sure these are 21mm offset, so you are good. I’ve been eyeing those! What car are they stock on? Here’s what I found so far: Dodge Magnum / Charger, Chrysler 300 Steel 17" Wheel.

You're going to have the same problems as anyone that upgrades to 15" wheels has. i think the tire rub threads compete with overheating in volume. Wrecks, suspension mods, body panel fit and even alignments, sometimes they fit sometimes they don't, It might even be the brand of tire that makes the difference.

Im going to get one of these DORMAN 939137 off a car from the JY.. Go to the other side of town where they sell used tires and pick one to check clearances and be a little more sure before dumping $500 on tires. it will be under $75 to feel better and then have a 17" spare in the end.

Bore Diameter73 mm
ColorBlack
Dimensions17 x 7
Lug Hole Quantity5

I cant remember and don't feel like hunting it down but the offset is very little and close to "right"

·
Registered
497 Posts
I’m running the wheels you’re looking at in 16” on my car and have no issues with the fronts rubbing. 215/60-16 in front and 225/60-16 on the rear. I do occasionally rub the rear at full stuff.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Kelly,

I have 17x8 Vintage Wheels Works V-48's with a 4.75" backspace. I am running 225/40-17's on the front and 245/40-17's on the rear. No rubbing for this setup.

-Shannon

·
Registered
10,368 Posts
16s fit just fine with 225s, lots of folks, including Brad and myself run them and if the Legendary guys are making Mustang tribute wheels, they are not going to invest in a wheel that will make customers unhappy. If you want go wider then there are issues with getting over the ball joint but 225s are all that's gonna fit correctly on an unmodded 66. I would talk with the Legendary guys, since they make their 16x8s for Mustangs, they are going to be the last word in what fits. 16x8 with 225 50s will blow you away in terms of response and hold compared to what you have. (so will 225 17X8s) 8" is the right width for a 225 to keep the side walls nominally parallel While lots of folks run a 225 on 7s its less than optimal, but frankly, may be fine for the kind of driving you do. However, a good handling Mustang does tend to make a guy/gal want to "bring it", there's room for a few autocross queens in CAM-T.

10mm is almost half (10 vs 12.5mm) an inch wider than your 215s IIRC, so the patch goes up by the area X 4...

YOU WILL SMILE ;o)
my 16's are X7 with 225/50/16
Kelly, you know all the guys with mustang Steve are running big tires and brakes. You might want to check his site and do a search there. I can’t comment on the 65/66 part of your question. But you know...I’ve got 17x7 245/45/17s on the 70. They are factory 04 Mach 1 rims with about 5.75 backspace. I run 1 inch spacer on front, and 3/4” on rear. No rubbing. I’ve got the drop, Moog 8534 (BB) coils in front, 5 leaf reverse eye in rear. no rub, but I have about 1-1.5 inches or gap between tires and fender. I dont have front tires tucked in the fenders like Steve and friends.
those 04 Mach's are 17x8 I know because I have some as well

I understand that 16s won't clear the upper ball joint if the wheel has the correct amount of backspace (4.75"). If this is incorrect, someone please advise.
Correct but 16x8x4.50 will work with the UCA drop a rolled fender and some negative camber

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Kelly, I'm running 2001 Bullitt Wheels 17x8 with backspacing of 5.72" and a 30mm Offset. The back tires are using a 5mm spacer, and the fronts are using a 1" wheel adapter. The tires for all four are Nitto NT555 235x45x17. Hope that helps.

View attachment 747855
Those wheels look great with your car!

Kelly,
I am running 225/45-R17 all the way around. I wanted to be able to rotate them.
Thanks for the reply - I am hoping that I'll be able to fit 225/50s on all 4 corners. Looks like there should be enough room, based on your car! I may have to shim up the front end by 1/4" or so for peace of mind.

YOU WILL SMILE ;o)
Why is 225s on a 7" wheel less than optimal?

I won't lie, I like the look of a more "donut"-y wheel/tire combo - wide tires, narrow wheel, in other words. I just think it looks more classic muscle. 225 series tires are spec'd for 6-8" rims so 7" seems fine to me.

Also - what brand tires are your crew running? Anything that's sticky enough for autocross will probably be a good place to start for me.

The front tires are 225-45-17 with 17 x 7 wheels, the rears are 255-40-17 on 17 x 8 wheels, both wheels have zero offset. I have no rubbing with no fender rolling. I wanted to go taller on the rear
but I also wanted to run the same manufacture on all 4 wheels. On the rear there is plenty of room to go taller and a small amount to go wider, I did do the poor mans mini tub when I had the car apart. View attachment 747858
Thanks for the extra info

Bore Diameter73 mm
ColorBlack
Dimensions17 x 7
Lug Hole Quantity5

Yeah, my hope is that since I've been able to get away with a bigger-than-recommended 15" tire, I'll be able to also get away with a bigger-than-recommended 17" tire! As you say, there are a whole host of people with various different suspension, spring, etc. options on their cars - I have seen people complaining of rubbing with tires much smaller than mine and I never have been able to figure that out. I've escaped without rolled fenders even with my meatier tires and would like to do the same with the 17s :)

That is a great idea - getting a used cheapo tire somewhere in town before committing to a package of 4! I think I will try to do that as well, assuming we ever get out of quarantine. I'm going to keep my 15" wheel/tire as a spare since it'll fit with the brakes anyhow - any bigger of a wheel/tire will not fit in a fastback trunk! But I can always have a used tire mounted on one of the new rims just for testing purposes.

mine's on 17's 245/45/17's squared.

Man, and your car has always looked great! Good to know on the size - you are also running a meatier/taller tire. No fenders rolled or rubbing issues? What tires are you running?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks to all who have responded so far, even if I haven't personally replied to you! Lots of great info here.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts