Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Why is 225s on a 7" wheel less than optimal?
Again, remembering I come from a performance point of view, the rule of thumb is you should stay within .9 to 1.1 times the width of the rim converted to mm for optimal performance. 8" x 24.5 x 1.1= 223.5mm, so I fudged to 225. I visualize it like this; the sidewalls should be nominally parallel so as the tire is stressed from side to side to keep the working surface flat on the ground. When you exceed this gide-rule, you create a parallelogram. Entering a hard corner, visualize one side going vertical while all the accumulation of the angles over orthogonal goes into the other side so it is no longer parallel, in fact it becomes a hypotenuse or the long leg of a right triangle. SInce it is the same length as the other side of the tire, this will tend to lift the working portion of the tire off the ground on that side of the tire. You will also get more side to side motion as the tire "takes a set" most noticeable if you jerk the wheel back and forth.

I would talk to the Legendary guys and see what they say about fit, my bet is even at 7" you will handle better than what you have, however this old brain thinks why compromise if you don't have to? At 8" and 4.5" I did have to roll the fenders now that I think about it, but a lot of guys are running 4.25 backspace.

·
Registered
565 Posts
65 Fastback with 205/50/R17 at front and 235/45/R17 in the rear. The rear will rub with 2 people in the back on hitting a bump.
9 inch rear end which I had shortened a quarter inch each side from standard.
Cheers from Down Under
Rob View attachment 747901
What is the backspace on your wheels? Are they late model ones or Legendarys? I ask because that’s the exact same sizes I ran on a ‘65 with stock rear and had no rubbing (4.8” backspace).

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289 / 315 HP, Tremec 5-sd, Comp cam, Edelbrock EFI, FPA headers, TCP coilovers
71 Posts
My car came with a set of 17 x 8 Chip Foose rims and Hankook tires; I'm not sure about the backspacing. I am OK with these for now, but I like the look of classic Torq Thrust or Koy's better and I might change them out later.

20200223_154321_Adj.jpg 20200223_154055_Adj.jpg 20200223_154704_Adj.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

Let's see em! :)

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)
I'm running 2/25-45 R 17 tires on 2002 Mustang 17 by 8 replica wheels. Suspension is basically late model Cobra with a 9" rear end. I probably could have gone to a bigger tire but I didn't want to roll the fenders. There is no rubbing or hitting on any kind of bump.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Boiler plate TT2's here.
Front: 17x8 w/ 4.75 backspacing. Tires are 245x40R17 -- fenders rolled, SoT coilover suspension, -1.5 camber - +4.5 castor
Rear: 17x9.5 w/ 5.62"-ish backspacing using wheel spacers. 275x45R17. Fenders mashed flat, wheel houses clearanced in line with the frame rail. No rubbing once i got the backspacing sorted out but clearance is tight.

Picture after rolling her out from hibernation a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Man, and your car has always looked great! Good to know on the size - you are also running a meatier/taller tire. No fenders rolled or rubbing issues? What tires are you running?
Thanks! I have a VERY slight roll on my fenders. But it was mostly just a precaution. I don't think they would have rubbed either way. I am running tires that wouldn't make a ton of sense for you. They are super sticky but you would wear them down in a month with their 200 tread compound. They are Potenza RE-71R's. Love the grip but I don't drive it nearly as much at yours so Im able to get away with it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I can't remember if it's been mentioned here yet, but a particular numerical tire size varies in actual dimensions from brand to brand.

·
Registered
898 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Luv
I'll just leave this here. I have a set of 4 wheels with tires that are about 1 year old, never been run on the street.

4 - 17x8 Bright PVD American Racing Authentic Hot Rod VN515 Torq Thrust II 1 PC
20 - Required lugnut for vehicle (nickel plated)
4 - 235/45ZR17 BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S

If interested i would sell them for less than what a I paid.
Loved those tires on my car when they were available in 15”
Somebody please, please buy the moulds and reproduce them

·
Registered
501 Posts
Running 225/45-R17 tires on the legendary 17x7 SS wheels. Up front I am running 1" lowering springs with Shelby drop. In back, I am running 5 leaf stand eye springs with 1 1/2" lowering blocks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
FWIW I went 17x7 a couple years ago - MB Old School 0 offset 4" backspace with 215/45R17 Khumo tires (don't recall the model). I measured them after getting them mounted and they were slightly taller than the spec listed. Last spring I rebuilt my entire suspension. I did no rubber in front - OTR blueprinted UCAs and roller perches, PTP roller LCAs and adjustable strut rods, Drake GT spec front coils and 5 leaf mid eye leafs. I did the drop as well and did the alignment myself (not my first time -.5 camber and +3.5 caster). It was really low in the front...Drove great but rubbed turning if you hit any bump more than a road crack. I did not want to roll fenders and I debated a spacer on top of the coils but since I would have to order them and this car is solely a cruiser and so I could finish it up and drive it :) I opted to put the UCAs back in the stock holes and re-aligned to similar specs. Here is what I ended up with:

At a later date I may try a spacer and back to the dropped holes and 1" block in the rear to lower it a little more. Pretty happy with how it looks at this point. It doesn't rub now. If I was to change wheels it would be the Legendary 17" Styled wheels. The extra .25" backspace could have possibly had less rub in the dropped holes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)
Look familiar? :cool:
20190414_131320.jpg
46922370324_1861cef705_b.jpg

17 x 7 on front with 4 1/4 BS....225/45/17 BFG T/A 2
17x8 rear 4 3/8 BS.....245/45/17 BFG T/A 2
Rolled rear fenders, doesn't rub but it is tight

·
Registered
250 Posts

Kelly, I forgot something, I'm running Shaun's suspension all around, He built me a custom 9" housing narrowed I believe 1/4 to 3/8 on each side. Can't find info, so going from memory which could be sketchy!

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Kelly, just saw these, maybe something you're interested in ...

not really the greatest deal on those I got mine brand new take offs for 62.bucks each
They do fit really good with a 1.5" adapter though

·
Registered
132 Posts
What is the backspace on your wheels? Are they late model ones or Legendarys? I ask because that’s the exact same sizes I ran on a ‘65 with stock rear and had no rubbing (4.8” backspace).
From memory the rear back space was 4.5 American Racing VN501.
It just kisses the tyre on compression of rear suspension.

Rob

·
Registered
96 Posts
(thanks ratlee - I think either 16 or 17 will work for me. I have a similar front suspension setup, but with negative wedge kit. Mideye in the rear, but not lowering blocks. Thinking of buying two 17 with 225 and trying them front and back, and then buying two more if everything fits.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have a 67 line gold conv. Recently installed 16x7 konig rewind rims with falken 225x55r60's and the car looks great have not been able to drive it yet as working on holley efi on 200 6cyl. But it does not appear that there will be an issue with the control arms or rubbing the fenders.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I put 18" Boss 338's on my 67 with no issues, also had 2015 18" OEMs on it with 1.5" adapters. Looked great but rode really rough.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts