Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I put 18" Boss 338's on my 67 with no issues, also had 2015 18" OEMs on it with 1.5" adapters. Looked great but rode really rough.
67 and up are a different horse. They are wider which allows bigger wheels and tires, and therefore not applicable to the fitting on a 65/66.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Given a few of the comments above about 16" as an alternative I thought I would post mine. The signature pic has 16"x7" wheel (Eagle 192 series, 5.434 in backspacing with a 1" adapter so 4.434" net backspacing), and the tire is a 205x60x16.

I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

Let's see em! :)

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)
I'm looking at getting Jane some new wheels and modern tires, shockingly. I am looking at the Legendary Wheels updated styled steel wheel, which comes in both a 17x7 (4.25" backspacing) and a 17x8 (4.75" backspacing) size.

I want to know what width/backspacing 17" wheels people are running, what size tire they are running, AND if they have rubbing issues or not (fenders rolled/not rolled and suspension setup would be nice info to have as well).

(Yes, I've rustled up a copy of the old Dodgestang chart - but unfortunately it doesn't have pictures and there's not that many 17" listings on it)

·
Registered
13 Posts

15x7" Hurst Dazzlers. For sale.

·
Registered
131 Posts
15x7" Hurst Dazzlers. For sale.
Not sure if you read the thread topic but its about 1965/66 Mustangs with 17" wheels and setups. Trying to sell your wheels in thread is bad taste. Just saying. Theres a spot for that here on the forum. :)

Chris

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Sorry to say but very few wheel setups in this thread look good. Many are absolutely hideous.

You have to be ultra careful with 17" wheel choice or they just look BAD. It's not a 'size thing' (so no stupid lecture about "some of us don't like stock and want to modify our cars" as if my car is stock) it's a 'choosing the wrong wheel that also now happens to be a 28% larger area to draw your eyes to thing.' So choose a good wheel because poor choices will absolutely stand out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sorry to say but very few wheel setups in this thread look good. Many are absolutely hideous.

You have to be ultra careful with 17" wheel choice or they just look BAD. It's not a 'size thing' (so no stupid lecture about "some of us don't like stock and want to modify our cars" as if my car is stock) it's a 'choosing the wrong wheel that also now happens to be a 28% larger area to draw your eyes to thing.'
Thanks for your opinion. As always this is subjective and cannot be defined.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
The way a car looks is completely subjective. So 'yes', it is a matter of opinion.

While some of these are not my particular cup of tea, the only opinion that matters is that of the owner. Before I get flamed by jdub, i will add that I do agree with his comment that a poor wheel choice can throw off the whole overall look of the car. But again, it's the owners opinion that matters...not anyone elses.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You can deny it all you want but some opinions are more correct than others.

If only the owner's opinion matters he or she can just go look at their car instead of taking pictures and putting them on the internet.

It's funny how if anyone states a negative opinion the opinion police come out to point out the opinion and opinion the opinion. Oh, it's just my OPINION? Good job pointing that out but that's what all of this is.

Are we here to talk about wheels or opinions?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Are we here to talk about wheels or opinions?
I don't know are we? I thought we were talking about wheels until you came in and said they all look like sh*t.

The post asked for pics of 17" wheels on 65/66 cars. If you don't like 17" wheels on 65/66 then stay out of the post. We get to have a nice conversation about 17" wheels and you're saved from having to look at disgusting pictures. Everybody wins! :)

-Shannon

·
Registered
568 Posts
As the thread title states: "Looking for reports/pics of 17" wheels on '65/66 cars!"
So people are naturally posting pictures of their cars and setups with 17" wheels. Looking through the history, you (jdub) were the one who introduced a negative opinion with:

Thus, we are here to post pictures and discuss wheels. So lets agree to let the opinions, positive or negative, go and stick to posting pictures of wheels. Come to think of it...I havent seen pictures of your wheels.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Ha! We can always count on jdub to bring some spice to any thread...

Still considering this and working out how I can get the best braking distance. If I can do it with a 15" tire, great, cus I already have 15" wheels. But reports seem to be that I can't.

Someone recently tagged me in a post of a car that looks remarkably like Jane, wearing exactly the wheels that I'm looking at! I tried to reach out to the owners to see what tire size they're running but haven't heard back yet.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Ha! We can always count on jdub to bring some spice to any thread...
So we're calling that spice now? Bless his heart

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
If you don't like 17" wheels on 65/66 then stay out of the post.
This is an incorrect assumption by you. If you read my post you will see I said that you have to be careful with 17" wheel choice, not to avoid it entirely. Some cars in this thread look good. But since I don't want to hurt any feelings I'm not saying which and leave others out. It seems like even being vague about it I've made a bunch of the more sensitive types feel a little insecure about their wheel choice. Sorry about that. Here's a participation trophy to make everyone feel better: 🏆

In general there are not many wheel styles that look good on a vintage Mustang. There just aren't. And when you bump the diameter up it closes more doors than it opens. If you go up to 17" I would go with something that definitely works rather than daring to be different. The thing about wheels is people spend big bucks and you never hear anyone say they don't like their wheels. But obviously that isn't realistic. Don't be the person who spent $1000+ on wheels and pretends they don't hate them on the internet.

I didn't post pictures of my wheels because I don't have 17s.

P.S. Nailbender, I like your wheel and tire combo, looks great on the bronze. God bless.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts