Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if this is the correct section to post this , I am looking for a car I owned in 1998 , I purchased it from the original owner in California and had it shipped to Philadelphia , It was his first car and said he special ordered it and had to wait for it to be built. He wanted a grabber blue Grande with these options , 351C 2V with a shaker , A/C , P/S , P/D/B , posi rear 3.50. hounds tooth seat , auto ,am/fm , sport wheel covers. and a few other things . When the car arrived he was surprised when it was red and not grabber blue. So the dealer said we can fix that and painted the car grabber blue for him. Now jump fast forward to his son drove the car when he was old enough to high school , then his daughter . so in 1998 i bought it , great driving car . still had the original blue paint the dealer sprayed on it in the photos attached . I sold the car sometime around 2000 or 2001 .. So if any body has seen it drop me a line.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Cool car. Any chance you have the VIN? Without it, unfortunately, there isn't much chance you will find it back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool car. Any chance you have the VIN? Without it, unfortunately, there isn't much chance you will find it back.
I was going to start tomorrow looking for an old registration , it took me 2 years to find those photos.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was going to start tomorrow looking for an old registration , it took me 2 years to find those photos.
Good idea, and hopefully you can find something. Also, look for any old insurance stuff you might have left over too, because the VIN might be on your bills. Even if you find the VIN it will probably be difficult to find back, but at least you will have more options.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All the best - the Grande , along with SST 2nd Gen AMC Javelin, were my Dads Fav cars: Both classy quality rides, along with the California Special.
Goodluck (y)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good luck. Short of asking a cop friend to risk his job and jail I don't know how the VIN is going to help. Hire a private investigator maybe? Lots of similar threads in these forums. The 69stang.com forum maintains a list of VIN's submitted by those members with 69 and 70 VIN's. IIRC you have to join to access that spreadsheet. Dave R.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I’m pretty sure there’s websites to look up vins...I just assume because every time I sell a car no matter what kinda car even if it’s cheap someone on Craigslist asks me for the vin not sure why they want it but...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I spent 40 years in law enforcement in Ohio. The computer files that the police can access as well as BMV/DMV files are highly confidential, like medical records. Access is for official business only. Someone that is looking for a car such as the OP would have to do a state by state search using the VIN. Last I knew anyway. I have looked for records on my car without success.
Bernnstang, those people to which you refer may be using a law enforcement contact to check the VIN. I wouldn't have jeopardized myself by doing that for someone. Dave R.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I tried using 6 or 7 of the online VIN lookup websites. Only 1 would accept my old style 11 digit VIN. The rest are set up for the 17 digit VIN we have had since 1981 model year as I recall. None of the sites I looked at can help track ownership or registration only recalls, stolen reports and crash damage. Dave R.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was in same situation looking for my moms 70 grande,she purchased it new in 70 and I knew all the specifics on it but had no vin, I went on Marti report and filled out all information about it including the dealership she got it from, amazingly he was able to find the vin and window sticker, unfortunately I was never able to track it down and tried all different avenues but at least I have this, you could always try putting it on Craigslist under vehicles for sale, good luck if you happen to find it,
5081A5F8-9F4C-482D-A8E6-4D64364C060E.jpeg
48FF0CAC-E93C-4434-80B3-A1EEC5206D02.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,379 Posts
If you know the VIN there is a website that will show if the car is currently registered anywhere in the US. Somebody posted that website but I don't remember it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts