Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first in a series of posts :)

As you can likely tell by my sig picture, my car is pretty much the primer king right now. i am about at the point where i will be thinking about painting. i will need to paint every part of the car - interior - exterior and undercarriage.

At the point my car currently is at, i am thinking that the undercarriage/engine compartment will be the first areas to paint. If I do this, should i paint the fenders on the car while taping off the engine compartment or should all of those panels be painted separately? Or should i assemble the car completely to check for final fit and any unforseen body work before painting any of the body?

thanks
jeff

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Before final prep for color I plan on final fitting both fenders, doors, deck lid and hood. Get everything aligned for proper fit. That way should it need massaging I won't be working with final paint. Also if I scratch something while fitting, I can take care of it while it's still in primer.

Once I get it all sprayed and I'm happy with the job I'll color sand and buff. After that I'll wait a week or so and give the paint time to cure out before I gently add some protective tape (green) on the edges of fenders and such to help protect from scratches while I re-assemble everything.

That's the plan anyway, we'll see how it works out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts