Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to be building my new garage in not too distant future,(SWMBO says I have to before I can start another project) Ill be building myself and am including a vaulted ceiling in half for overhead room for a lift with a trolley and hoist overhead, the other half will have a lofted area for storage. Im looking for ideas and input from others who have taken on on such a project or have always wanted to. Building type, flooring and any other ideas are welcome, and any website links would be appreciated too. I want to do this once and do it right, money isnt a huge issue but its not a free-for-all spendfest either.

·
Registered
10,527 Posts
Here is my garage I have been building for the last 2 1/2 year. Working on completing the second storey now.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rpprince/Garage.jpg

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I designed, built and will finish out mine some time this fall.

Go with 12 foot ceilings. Put the loft over the overhead door. Put the lift in back. I used an external staircase to maximize floor space.

check out my link.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I just built my garage, I had plans drawn up by an architech after I told him what I wanted, & how I wanted it to look, then once the town ok'd it, I brought the plans to 84 Lumber(company name) they put together a complete package of material. it was perfect, I got trusses so I have a nice open space w/no poles to damage my doors with. it is 28X28, 10 ft walls & barn styled roof so I can put my lift inside. the yare located all over the us from whatI read, they have a web site too, good luck, let me know how you make out, were in NY are you, if you want to come see mine, let me know, I m in westchester county

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I just built my garage, I had plans drawn up by an architech after I told him what I wanted, & how I wanted it to look, then once the town ok'd it, I brought the plans to 84 Lumber(company name) they put together a complete package of material. it was perfect, I got trusses so I have a nice open space w/no poles to damage my doors with. it is 28X28, 10 ft walls & barn styled roof so I can put my lift inside. the yare located all over the us from whatI read, they have a web site too, good luck, let me know how you make out, were in NY are you, if you want to come see mine, let me know, I m in westchester county

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive already got a 35x24 3 1/2 car garage pretty much identical to midlifes but mines attached, I think I even have the same flourescent lighting setup and laundry tub..lol. I want to do a 69 or 70 mach or boss next but the wife says Ive got to get my stuff into its own separate garage,away from the house so she can park without the debris of car work in the way or the fumes of car restoration floating into the house, not to mention Isolate my work area from nosey neighbors and drive by progress seekers. Shes given me the OK to go bonkers on this project, as she sees it as increasing the property value too. Heres what Ive got so far. I need a minimum of 11 feet interior height everywhere, with cathedral ceiling in half for an overhead trolley. I need a well supported upstairs in at least half so that a person can walk around in it, house my air compressor and store engines and other large parts, including both of our snowmobiles in the summer. A separate 12x24 area in back for painting thats isolated from the dust and silicones that float in the air of a shop, this area would also double as a parking area most of the time, which is nice since it'll keep that other shop crap away from whats parked there. Id like to be able to run pipe inside the walls for air, along with water, cable,electric and cat6. The wife insists it has brick facing and stamped concrete outside so it correctly matches the house..LOL...whatever. Lastly Id like radiant hot water heat in the floors, Ive got it in my house and everything I build from this day fwd will have it..its very nice and isnt intrusive. Im hoping some of you might have any ideas for that "dream" garage that I have overlooked. Planter and flower box ideas arent welcome, but some real sweet vintage mustang or ford logo curtains might be nice ..lol Wouldnt a jacuzzi and a big screen be great too? :: Thats too over the top and would knock the bejeezus out of productivity anyway.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Radiant heat is the only way to go in our neck of the woods. My buddy keeps his shop at 55 degrees. It's pretty comfy to work since the floor temp feels like 68-70. If you open and close the overhead door in 5 deg weather, the place is still warm afterward.
http://www.ultimategarage.com/
Here's a dream link. It's good for ideas. Look under "Workshop Designs" for a good checklist of what to think ahead about. Think about noisy compressor placement, plumbing, wiring etc.
Cruise through the rest of the site for inspiration.
Also check out Amazon.com for some great books on the subject.

Dan

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just a couple of ideas/details that have worked out great for me. My new garage has a small concrete slab out back with roof over it for my air compressor - so it is outside (much quieter). Also, I have a slab on one side of garage, covered, which my Dad jokingly calls my "patio", that has been very handy. I am putting bead blast cabinet out there so it doesn't make a mess inside. Also, I am able to go outside whatever the weather to paint parts, etc,.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts