Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible - 200 Six - 3 Speed Manual Transmission
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My convertible top is a little over 20 years old but the car is usually garaged so it's still in pretty good shape. I certainly don't want to do anything to screw it up. I'm not trying to dye it darker or anything like that. Just want to clean and seal it so it hopefully will last a while longer. I would like to use something fairly gentle so that I won't have to worry about keeping it off the cars paint or windows etc. I have already bought a horse hair brush made for cleaning tops. Any recommendations for simple and paint safe cleaning and sealing chemicals? Thanks!

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Plant

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
548 Posts
RaggTopp is what the shop that installed our top recommended. My son-in-law's uncle also uses it on his 69 GTO convertible and is very happy with the RaggTopp product line.

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
I recently did my parchment top and was amazed. I used the SEM cleaner and a bristle brush.
Water Automotive tire Hood Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I don't have a convertible any more but I watched someone demonstrate 303 on their Porche top so it is probably pretty good. They sell the cleaner, a water repellant and UV protectant and a soft bristle brush designed for convertible tops.

Reactions: Daisy

·
Registered
413 Posts
Use a good auto shampoo and a soft bristled brush to get the dirt off.
As stated above, Raggtop is the way to go. I use it on my BMW also (cloth version). My tops look like new.
Here is my top. It was installed in the late 90s. Just had the rear window replaced.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: 65-GT

·
Registered
1966 Convertible 200/C4 Silver/Red
447 Posts
I don't know about today's cheap Chinese vinyl, or what a black top will do. But all I've ever used to clean my forty some year old white top is Comet and a stiff bristle brush. Makes it nice and white!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
One more vote for Formula 303 cleaner and get the protectant too. ;)

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible - 200 Six - 3 Speed Manual Transmission
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! It sounds like either Formula 303 or Raggtopp cleaner is the way to go. I will get the protectant also after I decide which one to get. (y)

·
Registered
41,557 Posts
SWMBO makes a homemade recipe of 1-part Dawn, enough Baking Soda to give the solution body and 2-parts Hydrogen Peroxide. Used it on my boat canvas and vinyl for years.

Reactions: artc

·
Premium Member
6,069 Posts
Thanks for the replies! It sounds like either Formula 303 or Raggtopp cleaner is the way to go. I will get the protectant also after I decide which one to get. (y)
I've used the 303 on my black top and it still looks brand new after 20+ years.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Window Hood

Reactions: 65-GT

·
Premium Member
9,269 Posts
I don't have a convertible any more but I watched someone demonstrate 303 on their Porche top so it is probably pretty good. They sell the cleaner, a water repellant and UV protectant and a soft bristle brush designed for convertible tops.
I use their products on my XK-R's cloth top. They are well recommended too.

·
Premium Member
9,269 Posts
BTW, what is the condition of your vinyl window?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts