Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,

Looks like you have the kind of information I can use. I'm almost certain that a friend is going to buy a '65 and I've been asked to help on the fix-up. That is, no Concours restoration, the car is NOM and all I know it's a 289/2bbl with a C4. I think they want a good, reliable driver for that drive up to New Hope on Sundays. They would prefer not to get a ride back home in a tow truck. BTDT.

As I don't have the common sense to know my limitations, I'm sure I can do most of the basic work myself...such as drum brakes, suspension, engine top end, differential restoration (doesn't have limited slip), exhaust, etc. I say this because I've spent the last 20 years restoring midyears. Now, before you get your panties all in a wad, I have atoned for my sins by buying my 2013 Shelby SuperSnake with the 850 hp option plus a few other goodies.

Now that that's settled, I would appreciate opinions of a good restoration book. Some of your members like the book published by Motorworks (sp?). I appreciate all replies. What is the "bible" for restoring first gens? For midyears, it's "Corvette Restoration and Technical Manual" authored by Noland Adams and full of factory floor pictures, engine options and components, down to the dimensions of the spring clips used to keep tension on the shifter rods. Hardcover, expensive and out of print.

We also can get copies of the GM Saint Louis plant AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) used on the plant floor. What's the Mustang equivalent?

I appreciate your help.

Finally, what did you Mustang guys do with the full frame? Seems like the Mustangs would be a little more wobbly with just sheet metal holding it together. Also, I didn't know they made car bodies out of metal. Wow,

OK, OK, just kidding. Put down the pistol.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
You can do some simple things to really help the handling of the car.

You can stiffen the car up a lot by putting an export brace, monte carlo bar and sub-frame connectors on it. I went with SpinTech connectors, but you have to do some trimming and welding to get them installed....you'll find that there's almost no such thing as a bolt in part for these cars that doesn't need some massaging to fit.

Adding front torque boxes to the both sides of the front end is probably the best thing you can do to help stiffen the car. The 65 didn't have any and I think the 66 they added one to the front driver side. Those are weld-in pieces and bit more work to get them to fit. I think you'd want to take the fenders off to do those right.

Look up OpenTracker if you want to keep the stock style front suspension, but make it work better. Also lookup the Shelby Drop to help fix the front-end geometry. If you want to make some major upgrades to suspension, you have a lot of options including Street or Track (a well respected vendor who posts here a lot).

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts