Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have some BAD rust on the front of my roof, and i cant do this myself, so it looks like it'll have to be done professionally. From what i see the windshield will have to come out, have a piece of roof cut out and replaced and the whole roof needs to be resprayed.

First i have to find a reputable place to do this before i get a quote.

Anyone know if i will need the front section of a roof to be welded in or do most places just make the metal?

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/31/01/11229489-81c7-01FF0194-.jpg

Gary

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You just had to pick at it didnt you?
You might have to take off the molding to see if is also down in the chanel that holds the molding clips and widshield gasket. If you dig out all the rust and see what kind of holes you see it might not be as bad as you think. it might be ok to fill weld or lead it up.
I am just making suggestions here but, you might drive it to a bodyshop and see what they say.
Good luch any way you do it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You just had to pick at it didnt you?

<hr></blockquote>

No, i didnt - it was like that /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Can i take off the molding easily without causing the windshield to move out of place?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yep, with the proper tool, the top moldings will come off a lot easier than the windshield will come out (it should be pretty well sealed in place). If it weren't, how would that water be able to stay up there and rot your roof? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
If its not too big, its much easier to cut and weld in repair metal.

The headliner has to come out, and I suggest you just suck it up, get out the razorblade and make an inspection cutout to look at the back side of the damage. Rust is like an iceberg, you can only see the tip.

To remove the windshield molding, you need a flat hooked molding removal tool. Any auto store should have them. I think that there is one for Ford and one for Chebby. You slide the tool under the metal molding and the hook the little clips. With the clip hooked, you pull out (toward the center of the windshield) and lift up the molding. It takes some practice. It helps if you can see a picture of the installation before you start to visualize the process. I think that the assembly manuals give a good idea of the configuration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts