Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both sides of my '66 coupe has loose mirrors, close the door or hit a bump and they drop down so they're basically useless to me. As a professional driver, it's not gonna work.

Is there any way to tighten them up or should I just replace them? I ask because my motorcycle aftermarket mirrors have a screw to do this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a single outside mirror on my 65. When it got loose and started flopping around with every door slam or pothole, and knowing that it was only going to be me driving it, I set it where I wanted it and mixed up some epoxy and glued it in place. It worked well until I had a minute to order a new one. There's no way that I know of to tighten them up.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Ok, this one is tricky but I got it to work. You have to be willing to buy a new mirror if it doesn't work e.g. break the glass.
I have this "thing" where I am obsessed with keeping all the original equipment that was delivered on my car - on my car. So when I had the same thing happen here is what I did and it worked surprisingly. First remove the mirror and find a dental pick or something thin with a 90 degree angle or so. Now, look carefully at the mirror adn you will see its seated in plastic that holds the glass. there is a point where the two ends of the plastic have a tiny gap. Slip your instrument of distruction carefully between the two ends behind the glass so you can GENTLY pull on the glass. Now take a plastic or wood ice cream stick kinda rounded thin thingy and gently push the plastic back to the edge of the glass starting at the dental pick. I think I worked both sides of the pick but don't really remember, however I was able to work the glass out of the mirror. Make sure you work over a blanket or something soft so if it pops out it lands on something soft. IT WORKED to my surprise. Then, I believe mine had rivits and I hit them with a punch till it was good and stiff. Then worked the glass back in. I THINK I put the plastic around the glass and with some soap worked it back into the frame but don't really remember. I was/am very proud of this fix, the kind of thing that makes a very good day for me and why I love playing with old cars. Small successes...

GOOD LUCK - BE GENTLE!!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
How about adjusting the mirror exactly where you want it and marking that position, taking the mirror off the car and holding it horizontal but in the correct position , just a bit of of superglue dropped in the pivot point?

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
I was going to suggest getting them adjusted and putting loctite in there on the ball and socket as a temporary. The permanent fix is new mirrors. I don't think there is a way to fix those once rust and time has worn the ball and socket.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I mixed silicon with clear gorilla glue on the ball joint it has working for two summers now.
True solution is new mirrors

Good luck

·
Registered
34,144 Posts
One common fix is to disassemble and flip the retaining plate that holds the ball to the base over and retighten...it will be fine for a while until it bends...again. I suppose if you could make a NEW plate from spring steel it'd fix it properly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of these before I spring for replacements.

roog

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
An old Hot Rodder's Trick that works is buy some Clear 5-minute epoxy... but first mask off the mirror area on the car with the mirror installed.

Mix up the Clear 5-Minute Epoxy and apply it onto the movement ball of the mirror. As the epoxy is applied to the little movement ball as the epoxy is getting a bit tacky....With the window rolled down...get in the car and now adjust the wobbly mirror as it slowly dries.

It works like a charm just about everytime... The epoxy will hold the mirror now in place.

Pro's - It works Great! Con's (for some people) - Noone else can adjust the mirror when trying to drive your Mustang.

It's not fully permanent either... After its dry, If you screw up...You can move the mirror, but its very hard to move....but the more that you try and move it...It will break-up the epoxy and you can move it into another position, or just start over.

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts