Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The automatic shift rod in my car has a twist to it. The T-handle is not loose, but if you grasp the T-handle, you can twist the shifter. I've taken the T off and removed the plastic cover. I've retrieved what looks like a broken hard plastic washer from the shift well. I'm wondering if it goes on the shift linkage inside the well between the well and the shift rod. This is where the play looks to be. The nut on the end of the shift linkage that holds the rod onto the linkage is tight. Is there supposed to be a hard washer in this "gap"?

As an aside, the rubber gasket through which the shift rod passes is gone and disintegrated (as I am sure is the case with nearly everyone else - recall the problem with my '73). What are you folks using in place of this piece of rubber, or are you just leaving it out? I heard replacements are just as bad as the originals.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Yep, you need to replace the pivot bushings for your shifter handle. Like Gene said, get a set at NPD or wherever. Easiest way to do it is to disconnect your shifter rod and unbolt the housing from the floor. Then you can take it apart, clean and lube everything at once. It'll make a huge difference in the way the shifter works and feels.

As far as the rubber seal, they never last long, but it looks alot better with one in there.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can remove the whole shifter well from the hump? I hadn't considered that. My concern is that the shift linkage will poke through on top of the tranny and I won't be able to retrieve it! I found some drain plug washers at my local hardware store yesterday. They aren't the hard vinyl/plastic like the original appears to be, but they are the same thickness and have a 16mm inner diameter that perfectly fits over the shift linkage. Only problem is, even though they are the same thickness as the original, one gasket doesn't remedy the problem. I'm looking to unbolt the shifter and put a second one on today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the posts!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep, the whole well will come out and you can replace the bushings then.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, one washer was still sloppy, and two washers are a bit snug. For now, I think I like the shifter movement a bit snug. I'll re-evaluate after I drive it for awhile. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts