Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard a tick tick tick sound come from my engine. well i checked the plugs and two of them were loose so i tightened them and it stop the ticking. but the plugs are still coming loose. what can i do to stop them from coming loose. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Spark plugs do have a specific torque spec, but good luck getting a torque wrench and socket between your shock towers and engine. This is more then likely not a reoccurring problem and your first. When you installed them, you probably did not tighten them good enough.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Do you have a 65 as your profile suggests? Does it have a 289 V8? What sort of wrench are you using?

I use a ratchet handle with a swivel head...it's special for spark plugs...the snap on socket has rubber insert so it holds the plug. The handle is about 10" long. A firm pull with my crippled/distorted arthritic fingers is adequate!

The 64 1/2/66 had less room for plug changing than the 67 and up when the engine is 289. I suggest you get one of these special socket wrench ratchet handles at a auto parts store. Before I got this ratchet handle I had a difficult time changing plugs.

Slim

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have no trouble getting a torque wrench and deep socket in there. 15-20 ft/lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts