Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a pair of really tight seatbelts (webbing's become hard) in a ’64 ½ that I need to loosen up a bit. I’ve soaked belts in a soap and water solution before and, while that works, I’m wondering if there’s something that will clean and soften even more effectively?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
If these are the solid chrome top ones, you can take them apart and clean the insides. It isn't that easy to do, but if you're patient, they will come apart. You have to slide the top towards the rear and use a small screwdriver to help it along. Once it starts to move, you will see how it comes out. If the belt is stiff, you'll have to use a bit of pressure. Once the rear part is almost off, you can see where the flip part will also slide back and out. Be careful that you note the position of the spring and the thick piece that sits on top of it. This is what grabs the belt and holds it in. You will also see a small indentation on the metal piece, once it is out, that will show you which side is up. Once the belt is partially past the rear of the buckle, you will see how it fits into the U-shaped part. Carefully pry this apart and the bar will slide out and you can remove the belt. This also has a right and wrong way to go back. You'll see that one side of the end is curved, to match the slot. I beadblast everything inside and treat it to prevent rust and I've even started to powdercoat the painted delixe buckles. The chrome ones just get polished. Let me know if you have ??? This is a good endeavor while watching TV!!

·
Registered
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
572 Posts
I've heard that you can also put some Woolite in the water to keep them softer longer. They would probably smell pretty too! Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts