Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have lost alot of power out of my car. It is a 351 windsor. Could I have a compression leak causing this? Or what would cause a sudden lose of power? What can I do to fix this? Could it be a timing problem or carb adjustment problem? Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
check your rocker arm nuts. They can back off just enough to kill your power. That's what happened to me. I checked everything else and it was my rocker arm nuts backing off.

Greg.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I would chech the vacum hoses.. My stroker lost a lot of power about a month ago and it was because I had a cracked vacum hose. I replaced it and have been problem free since.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am still a total, and complete newbie but my mustang lost its power too about a month ago. I thought it was my vac advance, but turns out my sparkplug wires just sucked. Once I replaced them my car was running like a champ again. Good luck in fixing it! :D

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
When my car lost all it's power, it turned out the bracket on the firewall that the gas pedal pivots on had come unbolted, so when I thought I had the pedal floored, I was barely opening the primaries. Also made me realize my linkage was adjusted wrong, and I had been unable to use my secondaries for the last 2 years. I got a lot of power back that day. ::

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There are a lots of things you can check easily and cheaply.
Check the vacuum, plug and coil wires as mentioned earlier, also check your solenoid and make sure you have 12V coming out of it - I had this problem on my 351W in my Ranchero and it ended up being the solenoid. These new ones go bad frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts