Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have a 66 mustang coupe. My clutch and brake pedals are really losse and its hard to drive the way they are and thats the only thing holdin me up from driving it.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Stick your head underneath the dash and look. Maybe take a picture and post it.

Loose pedals. I thought Losse was some brand I never heard of. I that darn, that's a heck of a name for performance parts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Bushings likely need to be replaced

There are bushings that support both pedals and they are likely worn away and the pedal support may also be oblonged. A nice upgrade is a roller bearing kit supplied by Scott Drake. It's a DIY project, but plan on spending a good part of the day. Search the forums and web and you'll find reviews and technical write-ups.

Scott Drake Enterprises Transmission & Drivetrain :: Clutch Pedal :: Clutch Pedal Support Roller Bearing Repair Kit

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/howto/instructions/64-70ClutchPedalBearingInstr.pdf

Mustang Steve also provides a similar service.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/clutchbearings.html

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Most likely the bushings wore out and trashed the permanent grommets. The shaft on the clutch pedal is probably trashed, too. If so, you'll need a new shaft, and I'd replace the grommets with the Scott Drake roller bearing kit, very reasonable, and you'll be amazed how easy the clutch is to operate.

Here's how to take it apart without killing yourself:

Mustang Clutch Assist Spring Removal and Installation

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Another vote for the Drake roller bearing kit. I have it in my car. Pedals have no side to side movement and they operate great.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Mine were doing that too as well as squeeking. The bushings and rod were all shot/damaged.

I'm going with the SD roller bearing setup on mine. It looks really nice. My friend has it and really likes it too.

I haven't put the pedals back in yet, since we are rewiring under the dash.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Put heim jointed upper and lower clutch rods in while you are at it. Well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
So, looking at the Mustang Steve kit, it provides a race for the shaft to ride on? Is that a big deal? Do both of these kits install the same way?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well honestly if you know were i can buy some racing pedals that would work also. my whole idea for this car is to be a street Trans am racing style car that is functional on the track and street as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts