Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima that is (was) my daily driver. Nice car, red, (rare) 5 speed, sunroof, killer stereo, nice alloys with brand new wide tires. Great road car without being so new or fancy (it has 135k miles) that I am really concerned about door knicks or fender benders.

I bought it a couple of years ago for 6500 and put another grand into it to make it nice.

Some young woman in a 4x4 pickup ran a stopsign and T-boned me on the way home tonight. Took her front bumper and grille off, but she and her passenger snatched her front tag, which was laying in the intersection, and fled the scene.

A witness got half her tag number and a description of her truck, so the cops are pretty sure they'll find her soon.

The bad part of all of this is that, because of my car's age and mileage, I only had liability insurance on the car. The reason this woman fled was probably that she was drunk or uninsured, or both. I understand that about 1/3 of the drivers in my state are uninsured and I'll bet she's one of them.

Anyway, the car has at least $5k damage, probably more. I'd bet it's totalled - and if I cannot get her to pay for the damage, I am surely SOL.

Oh well. At least I wasn't injured (physically, anyway). Kind of a bummer to lose that car, though.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Terrible!
Hit and run is much worse than a DUI around here... Stoopid people..

Glad you aren't hurt, too bad about your car,/forums/images/icons/frown.gif a Maxima with a stick is a great car to drive!
Maybe you can fix it yourself?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
glad to hear your OK Glenn, as that is obviously the most important thing. Hopefully it all works out, although even with good insurance, accidents pretty much always suck for everyone. Hang in there.

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Glad to hear your alright! That's a bummer about the car though. I had a drunk hit me a few years back, he fled the scene as well. It was kind of funny seeing me sticking halfway in the drivers window of the drunks car, and reaching over this guy trying to turn the car off, and get the keys out of the ignition as he was fleeing. I finally bailed when the speed got up around 25mph. A couple of months later they caught the guy when I saw him driving the same car one day. Every time I was in the same area of the accident, I would drive through the nieghborhoods looking for him, and got lucky one day and followed him home and called the police. Hopefully they will catch this person also and throw the books at em.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
That's a bummer, Glenn, but I'm glad you are OK. Dickson

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK, Glenn, but sorry about the situation. I'm a big fan of the Maxima, and the fact you're OK shows how well they're built. Keep us posted on the outcome!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Really sucks, but at least is wasn't the mustang. If these dolts are stupid enough to run around drunk or uninsured the least they could do is drive carefully. I guess if they were that mature or responsible they wouldn't be doing that in the first place though would they?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
I'm not sure if this will apply in your case but I had someone hit and run a vechicle I had parked on my property, and I had that vechicle with liabitlty only. the insurance covered it as uninsurred motorist, with the limit at 3500 but might be worth checking out.

The good news is your ok, check with you agent hopefully you will be able to at least recoup something.

Mark

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Glad you're okay, that's the most important thing. Also glad you weren't driving the Mustang. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm sure they'll catch the idiot, keep us updated!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
low life like that you probaably can't get any money out of. never hapjpened to me but always worried about it. don't carry collision once car worth gets less than 5K. sorry for you loss

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Sorry about your car, but very glad you're ok. Hit and run is frustrating, isn't it? I had one many years ago when a woman in a '67 Mustang pulled out from a side street and turned in the same direction I was travelling. I had no real choice but to hit her from behind. There was no place else to go but into the guard rails. So, I hit her at the gas cap with the blade bumper on my '65 Mustang. Went through the tailight panel and exited through the passnger quarter just forward of the tailight.

She kept going but I got her plate. When the cops caught up to her, she turned out to be an LPN or RN, which meant a hit and run would cost her her nursing license. She swore to the cops that she didn't know that she'd been hit and they elected not to press it once she accepted responsibility and agreed to pay my damages (broken headlight bucket and scratched bumper was about it). Still ticked me off, though.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Wow I am really sorry to hear that. I know how in such situations you just kinda feel helpless and wondering whats gonna happen. Good luck, eventually she will be caught. If the police don't seem to concerned with it, do some personal investigating, thats how we found the guy who hit me and ran.
Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts