Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in @Turnall thread that I lost or misplaced the only ignition key. The missus and I searched high and low but no luck finding it. Anyway I ordered a replacement set of tumblers and keys from Virginia Mustang just in case I don't find it. I just wanted to let folks know NOT to drill out their old tumbler if they are faced with the a similar circumstance. I was able to pick the lock and turn it to the accessory position to pull it out. I made a pick with a hair pin and used a small flat blade screw driver to rotate the cylinder. I inserted the screw driver tip just enough to put a little tension on the tumbler and used the hair pin to try to gently lift each pin until the tumbler turned. Took about 5 minutes to get it out without having to drill it out. I have a blank Mustang key, only wish I'd taken a picture of the original key. I would have had a good chance to cut it myself.

·
Registered
35,930 Posts
If you remove a door lock they can code it and cut a new key for your ignition, presuming you haven't replaced both door locks.....

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news this morning Bart. The missus just stepped out of the house to get a breath of fresh air. Now that the snow is finally starting to melt she walked around the garage and lo and behold, lying in the grass was my key. I will be sure to get a couple of spares cut tomorrow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's excellent news!!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Yeah, mostly I'm stoked knowing I'm not losing my mind since I had myself convinced I tucked it away in the house or garage ?
That points to you are losing your mind sir! :p

I hate "knowing" where I put something and it's not there! Of course I usually find out that's not where I put it after all.

Allen

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
When I worked in the parts dept at Jerrys ford back in the 70's I used to be called upon to cut keys for folks. We had a handheld key cutter that worked well enough. If I recall, there were only 5 depths of cuts and I could pretty much look at the key and correctly load the cuts in..and confirm with the depth gauge tool ...times were so much simpler back in the day, eh? I just ordered 2 key fobs for a 2012 ford truck I bought, it only has one key (like caper50) They came from amazon, I went to the hardware store, they matched the cut...tried to program the key and read the on line instructions part about you need 2 working keys in order to self program...sigh...I wonder what the dealer will charge me...I have already thoroughly cleaned the inside of the cab;;;no surprise key find, I think I will look under the truck for a hidden key box...maybe I will get lucky!

·
Registered
21,013 Posts
Check with Rick from NPD, their lock kits are made from NOS supplies and are quite reasonable. I bought a complete set a few years after I went through something similar. I keep the new lock set for just in case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts