Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 67 has power steering. The steering has a lot of slop in it. About 3" from action one direction to the other. Is there a way to adjust that? What items do I need to check to tighten that up.

Thanks,
Perry

·
Registered
916 Posts
The steering box has an adjustment screw with a nut on it, you can loosen the nut and turn the screw to adjust the slop, but, that's probably only part of the problem. These aren't great systems. If you get under the car you will see a stud that goes from the control valve to the pitman arm, this is probably worn out. Get under the car and have someone turn the wheel and look for slop there. You can buy kits to rebuild it, have it rebuilt or buy a new one.
Matt

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
do you have a Ford published shop manual ? To adjust the steering properly the box must be disconnected from everything and you should be sure it has the proper amount and grade of grease in it.

you can get the shop manuals thru Amazon or the usual Mustang vendors . A Haynes or Cylmer manual will not suffice.

chances are your steering box needs to be rebuilt. It caw be done very inexpensively and the results will make your as fun to drive as it was when it was new.

ASK FOR DAN:

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

Z.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I haven't used them (yet?) but most people will tell you to have your steering gearbox rebuilt by CHOCK, Maybe you'll be lucking and they will reply to your thread.Of course I assume your tie rods and idler arm aren't loose?

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
I doubt that you will be successful in adjusting out 3" of play.
That's a lot of slop. (saw one on a 67/68 Cougar with a bit over
half a steering wheel worth of play..... owner was still driving
it around when the car came in for us to do his box)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
3" is quite a bit. I'd take the box out... it's what you should do anyway to inspect and adjust it. Grease it up, put it in a vice, and crank it left to right until it's to spec (and, yes, get the shop manuals which will provide said specs). If you can't get it to spec, look into buying a new one. Steering is important :)

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
I can't recommend purchasing a new steering box vs. having the Ford box restored, besides costing more, the quality of the new boxes is not up to the Ford standards.

Z

·
Registered
33,889 Posts
Our 67 has power steering. The steering has a lot of slop in it. About 3" from action one direction to the other. Is there a way to adjust that? What items do I need to check to tighten that up.

Thanks,
Perry
Really important question. Does this 3" thing happen with the engine running, or not running?

Adjusting the gearbox by any means other than strictly by the Ford manual can result in death. Yours.

Power steering gearboxes rarely need adjusting, because they live an easy life, even after all these years. However, sloppy steering is often seen on worn steering control valves.

Start the engine.
Have a friend wiggle the steering wheel 3".
Observe the steering linkage.
If the play is in the gearbox, the Pittman will show the hesitation.
If the play is in the valve, the ball stud on the top of the valve will show the hesitation.

If it is the gearbox, adjust according to the Ford manual.
If it is the valve, have it rebuilt by someone like Dan at the Mustang Barn.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If it's a later '67 it might have the '68 style rag joint. If it does then replacing that would be easier than adjusting the steering box.

Also, make sure all of your steering components are securely bolted to the frame and each other and all the appropriate cotter pins are in place. I had a problem once with the anchor that the steering ram bolts to pulling loose from the frame, so inspect and wiggle everything first.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the replies.

The play is noticed with the engine running. I need to check all components in the steering setup as I haven't really done that yet. I do have the blue Ford factory manual so I should be able to follow along and repair/replace and adjust back to health. Had a problem initially when the steering went kind of run away in one direction, and hard to turn the other way. I adjusted to power steering ram as instructed in the manual and it's pretty good now. Requires some effort at idle and moving slowly, so I may even have a pump or ram problem.

Trying to get a good picture of what we'll need to tackle some of the cars issues.

Thanks,
Perry

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
That's actually the way I like it, effort at idle or in the parking lot.
(And some feedback "feel" while driving)
My guess is your pump has seen better days.
I'm also amazed you got 3" steering wheel play adjusted out via
the control valve.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I didn't get the play adjusted out, just the off center tendency to almost self turn one direction and heavy to turn the other. Now at least it's uniform on feel and pressure/effort. Next is to take the play out of it.

Perry

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Check your rag joint if you have the short shaft box. They sell repair kits for them or you might get lucky and find a good condition one on eBay.

If your box needs refurbishing, they sell a refurb kit also but to me, it wasn't worth the time, mess and money I spent on refurbishing mine other than the experience. Dan @CHOCKostang can sell you the refurb kit if you want to do it yourself. I would send it to Dan if I had to do it again, that is if he's not retired by then.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Check your rag joint if you have the short shaft box. They sell repair kits for them or you might get lucky and find a good condition one on eBay.

If your box needs refurbishing, they sell a refurb kit also but to me, it wasn't worth the time, mess and money I spent on refurbishing mine other than the experience. Dan @CHOCKostang can sell you the refurb kit if you want to do it yourself. I would send it to Dan if I had to do it again, that is if he's not retired by then.
RETIRE????

What is this word? Carol and I retired from jobs 10+ years ago. Now we are having fun, excitement with our friends.

To the poster, I'll be very happy to answer any question you have (NO COST, no intent).

Just call, don't like wearing out my one typing finger.

Dan

Oh yes, a word of experienced advice. If your system is still original or basically untouched-WORN OUT ---as Me, DO IT ALL, then you will have a perfectly working system. These work great when all aspects are correct. Ford would not have installed these for MANY years, Chevy would not have put this on the Corvettes for 20 years if it was not a good system.

The Folks that have problems are the inexperienced, unknowledgeable, unaware, who try to piece it together, then call these NO GOOD--Not true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts