Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welded in Shags new front cross member, radiator support and battery apron. Still need to go back and weld up a few low spots and do some more grinding but nevertheless the hard work is over.

Shag is back on his feet ready for George the painter/body guy. As soon as GT_SCODE's car is out of there, Shag is going in.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Once you click on the following, there are 4 more pics to look at. Excuse the rough grinding marks for they will be gone in a couple days.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I wonder if George is going to get dejavu working on two funky green fastbacks one after the other!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Damn Craig! That car is already already for paint?
You work fast!
It wont be long and Red will actually be your daughters car huh?lol

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
One day I'd like to learn to weld as well as you do, Craig. Nicely done work.

In looking at the pics, the original stuff didn't look all that bad, and the rest of the car looks pretty rust free? Are the pictures making the old stuff look better than it was? Why did you replace them?

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Let me tell you all, I spent about an hour today shooting the you know what with Craig and looking at Shag. The man has done A+ work the welds are really impressive!

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John,
The battery apron had a battery acid hole the size of a football. The radiator support was all mangled along the top and the PO had drilled two massive hood pin holes right through it. Very weak. Since the new rad support came already attached to a front cross member, I simply hacked the old one out which gave me the opportunity to ZeroRust the insides of the entire front frame rails. I also ZR'd the torque boxes.

Spent a lot of today doing touch up welding and more grinding, etc. Tomorrow a very thin layer of skim coat and sand down to a baby's behind.

Yes almost done. Justin's car will be out by end of this month and that's when Shag go in to the "Body Salon by George".

Justin, saw your car today. Lookin mighty fine.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Craig,

Nice work, what kind of welding setup are you using if you don't mind me asking? Could you also school me on the one photo with the green, red, and yellow lines? I guessing it has something to do with squaring up the Front right? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I see you replaced the whole fender apron. Did you check the fit of the battery tray yet? I ended up cutting mine up and patching the original becouse i didn't like two things about it. First the top edge wasn't as crisp as i liked and second the battery tray didn't seem to fit right. It looks like you had a different brand fender apron that worked better.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
sparky65 said:
I see you replaced the whole fender apron. Did you check the fit of the battery tray yet? I ended up cutting mine up and patching the original becouse i didn't like two things about it. First the top edge wasn't as crisp as i liked and second the battery tray didn't seem to fit right. It looks like you had a different brand fender apron that worked better.
Sparky reminded me,
When I replaced my inner fender the drain hole for the battery tray wasn't in it. Get your repro battery tray and test fit it before painting the engine compartment.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm,
Battery tray test install? Sounds like a great idea. I'll go out this next week and get one. I remember when I replaced in battery apron in Red, I had to really tweak the battery tray to make it fit.

Thanks for the headsup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts