Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like I need to lubricate something. loud squeaking coming from the passenger front of the car. There was a zerk (zirk?) fitting we put some grease into but that did not fix the sqeak, I am certain it was on the lower control arm. What needs to be lubed now?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Most front end squeaks are from the upper arms, although depending on the grease fitting, access to greasing them can be very difficult.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
My squeeks like a bat in heat. I've lube every zerk fitting I can see and sprayed every moving part with silicone I can find. It really started to get bad when I had the export brace installed. I'm going to try to loosen the export brace bolts and slip some thin strips on rubber between and see what happen.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
either leave the ol' lady at home or don't drive so fast. :joker:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
My problem is the faster I drive the less noise..

It's when i'm cruising at low speed when it's the noisiest

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would bet it's the upper control arm. Sometimes the squeak just doesn't go away no matter how much grease you shoot in there. It can be difficult for the grease to work its way from the zerk all the way down the threads to where the bushing is.

That's why a lot of people do the modification Mustang Steve recommends where you use a dremel to cut a thin channel the length of the threads to give the grease a path to travel so it can hit all the threads and reach the bushing.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yep, that sqeak at low speeds in parking lots, over speed bumps, imperfections in road, etc are caused by the upper contorl arm bushings. Replace them and you should be good to go. A guy at a local car show w/ a '71 heard my car sqeaking when i was pulling up and told me he had the same identical problem and it didn't go away until he exclusively changed the UCA bushings.

Chaz

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Spray a little lube on the shocks, that was my issue with the 67'. The seals get dry.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that sqeak at low speeds in parking lots, over speed bumps, imperfections in road, etc are caused by the upper contorl arm bushings. Replace them and you should be good to go. A guy at a local car show w/ a '71 heard my car sqeaking when i was pulling up and told me he had the same identical problem and it didn't go away until he exclusively changed the UCA bushings.

Chaz
I cannot find UCA bushings listed in the NPD parts book. Are they sold seperately or do I have to buy the whole UCA?

this is for a 68.

thanks

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Bushings come as a "Shaft kit" #3047-2, which includes the shaft and bushings. $41.95
Old shafts are often in bad shape.

The entire UCA is #3082-3B $79.95

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bushings come as a "Shaft kit" #3047-2, which includes the shaft and bushings. $41.95
Old shafts are often in bad shape.

The entire UCA is #3082-3B $79.95

thank you very much. Will pick up 2 on Monday.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Let us know how replacing the shaft and bushings, or the whole UCA, whatever you decide, turns out. I will be curious as it will be valuable information to the forum. It just kind of seems that the forum has always had alot of different responses for the front end squeaks over the years i've read. But I usually tend to think it's the UCA's b/c it was just personal experience of mine and other's that I've known that had the same problem.

Chaz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts