Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am pulling into gas station last night my eye catches the back of a 67-68 coupe (with a 69+ type wing spoiler but taller mounted on the deck lid) otherwise stock looking '68. My windows are up and A/C is on listening to KLOS, but I hear a "rumble" as I maneuver to get to the pump. As soon as I open the door on my Ranger I am beset with with the sound of a V8 with very little muffling. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif He sat there for a minute or 2, then pulled forward leaving the engine on as he fueled up. OK so it wasn't exactly a stereo that was playing, but it was coming out of a dual exhaust and it was music to my ears. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif When he left he "got on it" and that was also a sweet sound. I gotta get back to working on my Mustang, it is on hold while I build my storage shed. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif fd

·
Registered
616 Posts
I love the sound of a sweet exhaust also. However, it would seem to me that the guy at the other pump must be somewhat on the dense side to leave his can running while he fills his fuel tank. Even here in Alabama we have laws against that sort of thing.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ya, gas stations are very pleasant sometimes. About a week ago, I pulled into a Pit Stop and their was an older very mild corvette and a Large 4x4 truck. I got out, and they both complimented me on my engine "sounds great!" they said. So we were all talking, the Corvette owner was a bit pig headed, and the truck owner had a 351W, "just like you!" he said to me. Well, the older corvette owner saw a newer Mercedez or something mildly sporty and says to me "that's *my* competition for the night, and kinda snickers like I'm not worth it, mind you, I didn't and never bring up racing.

I laughed to myself, got back in the car, and revved the engine just to a mild 3.5rpm before I peeled off down the road, but the look on his face was the funniest thing ever /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Once i HAD to leave the motor running during a fuel stop. The battery was crap and practically dead - it was no fuel or a full tank and no way to re-start the car.

Frightening though /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Gary

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
To think of the horror of a poor V8 exploding... The humanity. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

On the serious side of things, leaving the engine running while filing the tank is a dangerous prospect indeed. My dad had to do it once in his Mustang. He instructed my mom, brother, and me out of the car and at least 100 feet away, just in case something did happen. Luckily, nothing did...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well, had it been a 6 pot, i wouldnt have needed to stop for fuel /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Your that 6 banger loving guy arent you ?/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

It may interest you to know that last year a TV show in the UK did a review of the Mustang , and the advice was given

"stay away from the puny six cylinder, and go for a V8"

What do you think of that?! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Gary

G

·
I lone stoping and getting gas evey one has to come and talk about my car and if you meet up with a nother old car no matter what kind it is we go over each other car and have fun . I do get tired of hearing do you want to sell it .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts