Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Louver tabs

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  69bossnine 
#1 ·
I assume these are tabs to mount a window louver.
Are these original?
Do they still make a louver that uses these?
How do you remove them, are they hooked on the glass?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The only Vintage Mustangs that received factory louvers were the SportsRoof (fastback) cars beginning in 1969. And the hinges were attached to the roof with screws. It appears that you have an early hardtop and there were never any factory louvers offered. I'm sure JC Whitney sold them and there are some for sale in the classified ads here. Apparently hardtop louvers didn't sell very well and there's none made today.

#3 ·
She is a 1970 sportroof, and i figured they were mounts for an after market louver. any idea how they attach? dont want to break the glass trying to remove them.

Attachments

#8 ·
There is supposed to be a vertical tab that has broken off. The louver had a screw and nut that went through that tab and acted as a pivot for cleaning.

Here's a link to the factory type louver, which had hinges that attached on the roof sheetmetal.

#10 ·
Thanks all, I will check today if they are stuck on the glass, that would be easy.
Looking close it appears a tab may have broken off.
Jeff

#11 ·
2 sided tape, cut the tape and they slipped right out. Also you can tell that a tab had broken off.
Tnx all.
Now I think I'll look for a OEM type set of louvers, any recommendations?

#13 ·
The louver kit I bought from NPD is very nice. It fits very well and it looks really good. A guy in my Mustang club put a reproduction louver kit on his 1970 Boss 302. I don't know where he got it, but he's not happy with it. It's "caddywhompus" meaning not square.

One tip: My louver install ended up just a bit too low. I tried to line up the angle of the bottom of the hinges with the angle at the rear of the roof, but it didn't work out. The weatherstripping at the top of the louvers should completely cover the glass and a sliver of glass is not covered on my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.