Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding if I should put some louvers on my 73. Does anyone have some good pic's showing the louvers on 71-71 models. Also any other input would be apprieciated.

O/T a bit--Used to drive a tow truck (helped put me through college) and learned really quick not to pull a vehicle by the back wheels if it had louvers. :eek: Boy was that owner upset.

--rob

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Rob,I had bought and installed louvers on my 73 mach1 when they first came out in the late 70s.Of course they were after market aluminum.I did not like them because they used double sided tape to stick to the glass.Hard to clean the glass,and also scratched my back window.FastE

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I think I have some pictures at home of 71-73 Sportsroofs w/Louvers. I'm at work so I cant send them to you now. But, I am very curious as why its bad to pull a vehicle by the back wheels if it had louvers. Do they break? If so, why? Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Art--If you pull a vehicle by the rear wheels and the vehicle has louvers, the wind just rips the louvers apart. As you can imagine the louvers are very aerodynamic--but only for going forward. When I did it it actually sent the louvers flying--then the car behind it ran it over. Funny when you think about it but not if you own the car. :(
Rob

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Louvers on a 71-3 Fastback are a really bad idea. Not only do they suffer from the usual louver rattles, but they just don't look right, with the sharp edged bends on the louvers. Also, the trunk lid of our cars hinges up over the rear glass, and the louvers generally end up hitting the front lip of the lid, before it is even open 1/4 of the way, scratching your paint. Poor design, poor quality, poor execution...

Save your money and pass on the louver idea.....

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Louvers have to be one of Fords worst ideas ever..they rattle, don't fit right, keep the trunk from opening properly...and when all is said and done they look hideous..keep them off!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts