Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched the Low Buck Carb Shootout on Engine Masters. (Yeah, everybody whines that we now have to pay for a Motor Trend subscription to see Engine Masters. That's another subject, so please don't comment about that.) They compared the Edelbrock, Street Demon and the Summit Racing carb. All were 750 CFM.

I run the Summit 600 CFM carb on my Mach 1 and I was surprised to see how well it did. Right out of the box, it was the leader. There was a problem with the vacuum secondary opening all the way, but after that was remedied, it screamed. Makes me wonder if my secondary is opening all the way. I'm going to order some secondary springs and play with it.

The Edelbrock carb had a little bit of trouble at higher RPMs.

The Street Demon did well, but not quite as good as the Summit.

Overall, all these carbs are good choices for a street car.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I just watched it too. I’m sold, I’ll be getting one this year but I can’t decide 600 vs 750 since I’ll be going 185afrs in two years or so on my 347.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Summit carbs are so cheap, I would suggest going with 600 for now and swapping it for a 750 when you install the aluminum heads.You can always sell the 600 to help the defray the cost.

Back in the 80s, I knew a lot of guys who ran big carbs on their small blocks. Sure, they ran, but the driveability was pretty lousy.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
My MT subscription is some of the best $5/month I’ve spent. On the episode previous to this one they did a rod ratio shootout. It’s great to see the engineering and theory applied. Westech is probably the cleanest, most organized shop that Dulcich and Freiberger have worked in so far.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My MT subscription is some of the best $5/month I’ve spent. On the episode previous to this one they did a rod ratio shootout. It’s great to see the engineering and theory applied. Westech is probably the cleanest, most organized shop that Dulcich and Freiberger have worked in so far.
It's great to see old engine-building theories tested on a dyno. I know a dyno test isn't the ultimate measurement, but it is a very good measurement.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It's great to see old engine-building theories tested on a dyno. I know a dyno test isn't the ultimate measurement, but it is a very good measurement.
It smokes all the myths and misconceptions that have been around for decades. There have been things I was told way back in high school that get blown out of the water when structured testing is applied. Or better yet things that are free or cheap that do more than one would have thought. Like the Summit carbs.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
(Yeah, everybody whines that we now have to pay for a Motor Trend subscription to see Engine Masters. That's another subject, so please don't comment about that.)
One quick comment about it. I'm getting it for free through my Hagerty insurance.

I like how they pretty much proved my theory that the Edelbrock carb sucks for making power. The dyno, of course, does not show anything other than WOT performance- which they mention- but if you're going to OCD about cams and heads and headers and exhaust and intake manifolds, DO NOT run an Edelbrock carb.

Also, very important- adjust your secondaries. Which I did on my Street Avenger.

Did anyone see the rod length episode yet? Yeah, rod length doesn't mean squat for making power. They ran two shortblocks with identical stroke and displacement, cam and top end- only difference was rod length and piston compression height (even the dome on the pistons was identical) and the difference was pretty much within the margin of error. Basically they said do not ever go out of your way to build an engine around rod length.

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
978 Posts
i disagree about Edelbrock carbs. A.k.a. Carter AFB.

The Edelbrock carb is very easy to tune. Most of which can be done without spilling a drop of fuel. The only bad part about the carb is the float adjustments.

If you’re a professional drag racer, where every thousandth of a second counts, and you can afford to spend hours of time tuning on a dyno, then yes, go with the Holley ?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Did you watch the episode?

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
I dunno, I just got Hagerty in January and they sent me an e-mail so I cancelled my subscription through Amazon and activated through the Hagerty e-mail.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I have a Summit 750 DP as the “street” carb on my 372C. It’s pretty fantastic.
Great values since I bought it used.
You need a heat isolator though or it will boil off the fuel like an edelbrock does....

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I dunno, I just got Hagerty in January and they sent me an e-mail so I cancelled my subscription through Amazon and activated through the Hagerty e-mail.
I got the same email, and very much enjoying the subscription!

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
843 Posts
One thing I don't recall was the Summit carb power numbers compared to the numbers they got with their go-to Holley carb.
summit 750 carb 484tq 472hp

Holley Xp (850 I think) was 480/466hp

FYI

I need to figure out what fittings will work with my fuel line and I’ll be ordering the refurbished 600 with the spring kit later today. Klutch, put the lightest spring u can in and report back if you have one and you have free time.
On a side note I spent yesterday clay barring my car. Well worth it!

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
The video confirmed everything I knew about Edelbrocks. (n)

Summit FTW!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts