Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing.. would be great for my turbo 5 liter project >:)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Sure, they're called "open chamber" heads. Look for them on 2 BBL cars. If you really want some neat heads buy some "Australian heads" (open chamber with the big 4 BBL ports).

Are you aware how restrictive these heads are on the exhaust side? You could do better with some aftermarket Windsor heads.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you aware how expensive aftermarket heads are? :p If i had the money i would get some kind of GTX heads or whatever the aluminum ones are called... or something else.. AFR? i forget who makes the low comp heads.. and i would use some custom pistons while i was at it.

Anyone know of any companies that sponsor hot rods? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
No offense intended here but are you aware how much you'll spend making those Cleveland heads "right".

I have over $1500 just in the rebuild of the heads on my Boss. You need high quality valves, good machine work, springs, retainers and keepers.

Clevelands and Bosses are made to REV, they make their horsepower way up high on the needle...put you money in the valvetrain, if you don't do it now you will later.

Over and out.....just advice from someone that's been there.... with Cleveland heads.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
OK, flag on the play!!!

1. Aussie heads are CLOSED chambered with 2V ports.

2. Cleveland exhaust ports are labeled restrictive because they don't flow quite the ridiculous numbers the intakes do.

3. Even 2V cleveland heads with almost no work flow as well as most aftermarket windsor heads!!

Yes, the exhaust ports are very "kinked". In the 70's, racers like glidden sliced the exhaust port outer half off, raised it a bit, and blended everything together (and from what I've read, glidden ended up with a cleveland that "revved like a dentist's drill")

Shagg, the open chamber heads were 76cc....flattops create about 9:1.....dished pistons would probably be what was required for forced induction, and theyd probably be custom for a 302. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
All 2V except aussie's and all 4V's 1971 CJ and later. 1970-71 351 4V, and the boss had closed chambers. I think that the closed chambers were around 62cc and the opens were around 75cc's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts