Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've traced a poorly running engine problem to one cylinder. Only 80 lbs on one compared to 160 on all the others. Where do I go now? Pull the head and inspect the valves? How do you know if its the piston rings?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rick, look at my post below from earlier today. A leakdown test is a great way to isolate where you're losing compression. I had the same problem - although you probably have a hydaulic valvetrain, you never know. A simple valve adjustment brought my compression on one low cylinder way up. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Could be a bad valve. Test: With engine running hold a piece of paper to the exhaust pipe. If the paper sucks in to the pipe then you've got a bad valve.
Ring test: Shoot a bit of oil into the clyinder & replace plug. Fire engine & see if it smooths out, then gets rough. If so, then it's a ring. Or check pressure & wait to see if the pressure drops. These are "shadetree" stuff, but pretty good. Sounds like maybe a blown head gasket. Either way looks like you're gonna be pulling at least one head! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Rick..I would pull the head if you can't get the compression up with a shot of oil..I had the same problem and traced it to a slightly bent valve stem..was an easy fix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts