Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Low end camshaft for 302 4 brl

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  rbohm 
#1 ·
I am sure this has been discussed before, however am new here. Recently purchased a 1969 Mustang with a 302 4brl. It has been bored and previous owner installed an aftermarket CAM (.504, 284 duration). This seems to want to function at higher RPM. Since I am just street driving this car, I would prefer a CAM to give me more low end response. Any suggestions? Someone recommended that I install a Torque converter for this CAM. However, wouldn't it be easier to just change the CAM to something more street friendly? Thank you!

#2 ·
If you're not looking to squeeze every bit of HP out of your 302, a basic Edelbrock Performer Plus cam (or other manufacturer with similar specs) will operate well at lower RPM.

Welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Before you go tearing it down I’d check the basic tune. What’s your timing, initial, total? What carb? Exhaust, single or dual? Manifolds? Headers? What the total package, and if you had more cam info that would help too.

#7 ·
I rebuilt my 69 302 with 40 over pistons, gt40 heads, weiand street warrior intake, autolite 4100 4bbl off a 289, stock exhaust manifolds and a comp cams 268h high energy cam. I daily drive my 69. With the 5 speed I can cruise 70 mph at 1900 rpm with the 3.00 rear gear and I get around 23mpg doing it. If your looking for good daily driveability on a mild 302, I've really been pleased with the 268h

#8 ·
there are a few good suggestions here, the first being, check your tune. start by getting the carb settings right, IE jetting etc. next set the timing both the initial timing and the timing curve. you might take the distributor down to your local speed shop and have them rework the advance curve.

next make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. you might also consider changing your rear gears to something more like a 3.25-3.50 gear.

in the end if you then decide you need to change the cam, the comp cams h260he grind is a good one for a daily driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.