Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 289 has an issue getting off the line. I need a lot of clutch + revs to get it to roll. If I try to make tire oxide by dumping the clutch at some pretty high revs it boggs the motor down and will stall. The carb is a 4100 with the adjustments out 2 turns, timing is 6 btc. I did the timing chain, lifters and pushrods and everything seems tight, no leakes, vacuum or fluids. I am changing the fuel filter tonight (cheap stuff first) and I have the rebuild kit for the 4100. It also has duel exhaust so it is exhaling good. burning 94 octane, 190 thermostat.

:( What else could it be??

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
you need more initial timing, and probably more total timing 6 degrees is not enough most ford guys use the standard 10/30 just to get it running then after tuning and whatnot usually end up with 12-18 initial and 32-38 total. especially since youre running 94 octane you should be able to bump that up quite a bit without pinging. get a timing light and go turn that distributor, good thing its nice and easy to get to.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
try bumping your timing up a little bit, try 10 or 12... and if it has a big, it could be a fuel delivery problem ( carb ) , or ignition problem .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the timing advanced and it was the same effect. thats why I started back at 6 btc

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
If this started when you installed a new timing chain is it possible that the cam is not properly syncronized with the crank and adding a bunch of retardation to your base timing? Did you degree the cam before installing the chain?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
What rearend gear ratio do you have? If you have 2.79 you are going to have problems getting the car rolling. Or is this a new problem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts