Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a tire sidewall treatment that doesn't make the rubber look wet n' shiny but has more of semi-gloss almost matte finish? I want something subtle and not glossy. Any recommendations?
TIA

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
Try Meguiar's Endurance--it's what I use on my coupe and it does last.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I'm with you. I use Armor All low gloss.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Get the tire dressing from Zaino!! It is called perfect tire gloss, there part # is Z-16. It is FANTASTIC!! Put it on a cloth, wipe it on...leaves a satin finish,, and doesn't come off. If you get some on your wheels, wipes right off with a cloth. The best I have found..
blkstlln

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meguier's describes Endurance as "High Gloss"- that's what I want to avoid. Does it look matte or semi-gloss if you rub it more/less than directed?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I've used Endurance and I definitely wouldn't describe it as high gloss. It leaves a very acceptable satin finish that lasts for weeks. My only problem with Endurance is it also leaves a layer of oily goo on the tires. This usually messes up my raised white letters and, even after cleaning the letters, leaves streaks on them as the stuff is slewed off the tires by centrifical force. If there is something better than Endurance out there I'd love to try it. Problem is that all the ricers now want that wet look on their 1" tall tires so all the products are aimed at them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ken,

I've seen two different versions of Meguiar's Endurance. One says "High Gloss" while the one I use does not. I always wipe or "buff" the tires after the application and, while it's still a little too shiny for my taste, after a wash or two it looks great.

I've tried the Zaino tire dressing as an experiment and will probably change to that product soon. One big plus is that the Zaino dries and won't come off on your wash sponge or attract dust like the Endurance.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I've used the "Low Gloss" version of Armor ALL for several years now. The only trouble is that it's getting very hard to find - everybody carries hi-gloss, but only a few carry the low. I wonder if it's being discontinued???

The other "tip" I've got is to cut a plastic (or cardboard) disc to cover your wheels with...prevents messy overspray from getting all over the clean wheels. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Administrator
19,498 Posts
They have two types as Rickoshay says, I use the original, which is low gloss. I also wipe most of it off to get rid of the oily residue that can happen if you use get it on too thick. It's one product you don't want to be generous with when you apply it. I've been using it for several years and like it very much.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
I was just introduced to a product called 303.

http://www.topoftheline.com/noname4.html

It is billed as a vinyl and rubber protectant, that restores the oils lost thru UV and Bla,bla,bla...It sprays on and leaves a 'satin' finish. The thing I really like about it, is that doesn't attract dust like the other products I have used. I can drive the 1 mile of dirt road, that leads me to the closest paved road, and the tires still look like new.
Give it a shot, I use it on the interior as well.
Got it @ Auto Zone.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Black Magic Tire Wet

I heard about this stuff on a web site that explained how to detaiil cars. You just spray it on and there is no wiping. It lasts for weeks or months. It is truly amazing!

Is is not real glossy and does not look phoney. It makes the tires look like they are new and just came from the tire store!

And I am not getting paid to say this!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I have found that using the no touch aproach and wiping the tires down after the dressing settles and dries leaves a nice satin natural looking tire...

It is deep black but it isn't super shiny either...

only thing is it will leave your towels looking pretty gummy....due to lots of road grime on the tires.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cloney:.....they sell a plastic lid with a handle for that. About $6. Better way is to use one of the curved tire detailing sponges, uses a lot less protectant and much neater

1 - 15 of 15 Posts