Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
It’s funny that sometimes the fix is something so simple that you don’t even think about it. There’s been several times over the years where something isn’t working as it should and you think the worst. Yet then realize whatever it was isn’t plugged in, blew a fuse, the switch was off or so on. Good to hear you solved your “issue”.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So just an update. I called the builder after reading @LSG's post. Spoke to the guy who did all the work on my engine and relayed my concerns. He said he pulled out all the plugs, hot tanked the block, milled the block and hot tanked it again. Then he took long cleaning brushes and power washed and brushed out all the oil galleys. He assured me that everything was clean and all the plugs were replaced. I've been to the shop a few times during the build and the place is immaculate. I have no reason t think he took any shortcuts.

I agree, the plug in the photo I posted looks old. He said it would have been replaced. Only way to tell is to pull the intake manifold. I will drain all the oil and cut open the filter and look.

My thoughts on the low pressures are it probably was the gauge. When I took the sender extension off and blew it out, the only thing that came out was some frothy oil. Probably from the pressurized tank I used. I did not see any pieces of crud.

I'll post what I find in the oil.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Keep in mind that when the engine warms up the oil pressure will drop. My 351w has 55-60 psi at idle at start up, but drops to 20 psi or so when warm. 10psi per 1k rpm is a good rule when fully warmed up.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Pressure is just a measure of resistance, so if you put your finger over the oil line going to the gauge pressure would go up but this has no bearing on the engine and just because pressure is reading higher on the gauge does'nt mean the engine is any healthier. Don't obsess over the psi gauge reading. My beater 331 has 10 psi at idle and 58psi at 6700 rpm.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
It's set up loose, standard volume oil pump, 12,000 miles and and multiple passes with no issues. Seems to work

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
It's set up loose, standard volume oil pump, 12,000 miles and and multiple passes with no issues. Seems to work
I’ve never heard of anyone intentionally setting an engine up loose to the tune of the oil pressure being 10 psi at idle. I’ve heard of nitrous engine being set up loose, but that’s in reference to the rings, which you know doesn’t affect oil pressure. Go to any car that’s setup for true max effort (ie....set up “loose”) and you aren’t going to find the oil pressure at 10 psi, ever. There’s no noticeable benefit.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I’ve never heard of anyone intentionally setting an engine up loose to the tune of the oil pressure being 10 psi at idle. I’ve heard of nitrous engine being set up loose, but that’s in reference to the rings, which you know doesn’t affect oil pressure. Go to any car that’s setup for true max effort (ie....set up “loose”) and you aren’t going to find the oil pressure at 10 psi, ever. There’s no noticeable benefit.
It does not have any issues and has not changed in 12,000 miles with a lot of abuse .To get higher pressure you would need either more flow from the pump or more restriction in the engine. It was built at at Britco race engines and dynoed at their shop. If it was an issue pretty sure it would have showed up. I would be concerned if the pressure did not climb up instantly with the RPM increase but it does. I should also say that it does have a hole drilled in the oil galley plug to spray oil on the dist gear. If it makes you feel better that is hot idling in gear, in park it goes all the way up to 12 psi :) Here is a video of how much oil sprays on the dist gear with the oil mod

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
It does not have any issues and has not changed in 12,000 miles with a lot of abuse .To get higher pressure you would need either more flow from the pump or more restriction in the engine. It was built at at Britco race engines and dynoed at their shop. If it was an issue pretty sure it would have showed up. I would be concerned if the pressure did not climb up instantly with the RPM increase but it does. I should also say that it does have a hole drilled in the oil galley plug to spray oil on the dist gear. If it makes you feel better that is hot idling in gear, in park it goes all the way up to 12 psi :) Here is a video of how much oil sprays on the dist gear with the oil mod
As long as you’re happy with it, that’s what counts 👍

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Nice video. That might explain why my socket was coated with oil after I spin my oil pump.

·
Registered
189 Posts
An issue that is being discussed on yellow bullet and speed talk right now is restricting oil on sbf dart block. I bring this up to point out that if a block (stock or otherwise) has had the oil passages modified that it will affect oil pressure. A block that has had oil passages chamfered or even enlarged may show lower pressure but increased volume.

The discussion here is very good and thought provoking even if we don't always agree. Good luck original poster and keep us posted.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The discussion here is very good and thought provoking even if we don't always agree. Good luck original poster and keep us posted.
Since we were going well below freezing up here, I drained out the distilled water I used for the break in and put some antifreeze in. Replaced the oil sending unit and extension with new ones from NPD and started it right up. Idled nicely and oil pressure was dead on in the middle of the gauge. Got it up to temp and still no leaks! Hurray!

Just have to wait 8 weeks for Waldrons to ship my exhaust........yes, 8 weeks! Could have probably gotten the same thing from NPD delivered in a few days.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts