Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65 Coupe. CSRP kit. Manual MC. The prop valve is still wide open as I have not got what I feel a solid pedal should feel like. Pedal has the correct amount of play from the pedal stop. Bled the crap out of them multiple times. Even power bled them at the neighbor's shop. Measured each corner with a gauge just today. Rears are right at 1000. Fronts are 500. 600 if you get mad at it. The fronts also appear to be slowly leaking down so I'm thinking MC. E-brake was on for these measurements. I will measure at the MC tomorrow. Ran out of daylight and patience. I'm also going to run a new rear line because I want to eliminate the adapter tube that came with the kit. Looks kludged right now. And that line has a slow leak right at the adapter. Funny that the rears still have much higher pressure than the fronts even with the leak. That leak is a single drop after multiple pedal actuations. Thoughts?

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Sound's like the typical "bad from the box" master cylinder. Definitely FIX the leaks. When you have fluid leaking out you have air leaking in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check my post history for thread regarding issues with CSRP kits.

Not sure if you have a similar issue, but I and many others could never get the pedal right with that kit.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Yeah, something is wrong. I would look for approx. 1000-1200 front and 800-900 rear.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, MC36440. Just placed an order for one on the big A along with some 10mm tube nuts so I can clean all that stuff up and finally have some brakes. This thing needs to be road worthy before Christmas.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
A VMF member with all the tools, imagine that (pressure gauges).
You, sir, are to be commended for having all the "stuff" for doing the job correctly. Sure makes things easier than having to guess what's going on.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: CHOCK

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol! Why thank you Sir. I actually borrowed a gauge from my drag racing neighbor (which didn't fit), saw the adapter I needed while searching online, said to myself 'don't I have some of these?', looked in my sidecar on the tool chest and rediscovered my brake pressure gauge and adapters from SSBC. Told the wife I have to now maintain a spreadsheet on the tooling I have so I don't have to remember anymore. This is also why I just bought a second 3/8 - 7/16 flare nut wrench. Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
It was actually one of your comments in a different thread that made me go the measurement path. So the measurements plus others experience with the same kit led me to the new purchase. Tempus Fugit, no time for boolsh1t. So I thank you.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Improper install is sometimes a basic factor in these situations. So, once this is realized, no progress, it might be a good idea to seek help from others--I HESITATE to say go to the local tire store. Many of these computer orientated "Mechanics" can't find their bag with both hands.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
WHO THE heck is Roger?
Familiar radio acknowledgment from the pilot's cockpit......
(OR Rog for short)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
65 Coupe. CSRP kit. Manual MC. The prop valve is still wide open as I have not got what I feel a solid pedal should feel like. Pedal has the correct amount of play from the pedal stop. Bled the crap out of them multiple times. Even power bled them at the neighbor's shop. Measured each corner with a gauge just today. Rears are right at 1000. Fronts are 500. 600 if you get mad at it. The fronts also appear to be slowly leaking down so I'm thinking MC. E-brake was on for these measurements. I will measure at the MC tomorrow. Ran out of daylight and patience. I'm also going to run a new rear line because I want to eliminate the adapter tube that came with the kit. Looks kludged right now. And that line has a slow leak right at the adapter. Funny that the rears still have much higher pressure than the fronts even with the leak. That leak is a single drop after multiple pedal actuations. Thoughts?

I'd send you a PM if I knew how on this new interface.

Excess pedal travel is not an uncommon occurrence when installing a new brake system. The problem usually is located downstream from the master cylinder. CSRP kits include a set of metal master cylinder brake bleeding tubes and a set of screw plugs for the master cylinder outlets (red plastic). Bleed the master cylinder off the car/booster using the metal tubes. Be sure that the tubes terminate below the surface of the fluid in the reservoirs. Gently depress the MC piston to expel air/bubbles. When you are confident that the bleed/prime has been completed, remove the tubes and quickly screw in the plugs. Now try depressing the MC piston; it should be quite hard. If it is hard, with no fade, and fluid flow is evident from both outlets, the MC is functioning. If this is the case, the cause of the excessive pedal travel is downstream from the MC.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's exactly what I did. And bled the system at least four times, three of which were with a power bleeder. I had firm pedal only once in the process during the bleeding, but solving some leaks and bleeding more it never came back. Now granted, I have not replaced a brake system in several years, but I'm not new to it. Two 53 Chevy trucks, a 69 Chevelle, two 67 Mustangs, replaced the entire system in my 86 Toyota truck with the one ton components (this is what I bought the gauge for because I had to set the LSPV), and now this 65. First time I have had a continuous 'soft pedal.' Checked the rear shoe adjustment, watched the front pad application, finally measured the pressures. The new MC will be here Wednesday. That will tell me more at this point. Tired of chasing dragons on this.
My configuration also differed from the instructions: The rear line came out the bottom of the distribution block at the firewall end, not the rear. Looked factory on all the bends. Feb 3, 65 (03B) car.
Mouse over my handle and you will see 'Message' in the lower right of the pop-up. (y)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Houston, we have pedal. Spent basically all day running the new rear line (just to neaten the engine bay) and make the other new lines for the MC36440.
Tips for running a new rear line:
1. Use a piece of string -not pulled tight- to take your measurement. Use tape (blue painter's) at strategic points and every 12 inches or so.
2. Disconnect the e-brake lines. Probably should have removed the driver side exhaust too.
3. Bend up only the engine bay features then feed the line in through the bay
4. Secure loosely to prop valve and check firewall fitment.
5. The line has a 1/4 inch tubing as 'armor' for around the tranny tunnel support. It's a PITA to get on the 3/16 line.
6. Make the rest of your bends as you follow the fuel line back. I used 90/10 for the line. It is very easy to work with.
7. Buy some real line bending tools.

Bled the brakes with my neighbor. Completely different adventure. After passenger rear, there was plenty of firmness in the pedal and it stayed for the remainder. So it looks like the MC in the kit was defective. Have not had it on the road, nor have I measured any pressures at this point, but the pedal is not an inch off the floor like before. Road test is imminent, but probably this weekend due to Christmas with the family. Hopefully Santa funds some more mods, lol. The 65 is, after all, Red. I will add some pics later. Right now I have to get garage floor out of my hair.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Not "picking" on any supplier in particular- definitely not the first bad master cylinder I've heard of.......

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Engine bay at MC, before and after:
Before

After

1 - 20 of 25 Posts