Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm refreshing my front end suspension. Roller perches, all new tie rods, etc... new lower control arm, 1" sway bar. I need to determine if the stock camber eccentric bolts are sufficient for a street machine, or do I blow $60.00 some odd bucks out of my already ballooned budget for the eccentric eliminator kit is worth it? And if so, there are three kinds. Total control, global west, and Open Tracker. Which one.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You will hold alignment better with the aftermarket ones, they are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huskinhano

·
Registered
393 Posts

I used the Opetracker kit - once I'd set the desired camber it stayed put. I think it's cheap insurance against knocks and bumps screwing up your alignment.

Reactions: zray and Shaun

·
Registered
410 Posts
Dans68, I would definitely recommend going the eliminator route. I, like many others on the forum have opted for the Z Ray lower engine crossmember and eccentric eliminator kit that is sold by the VMF member ZRay. His design on the engine crossmember pockets the lower control arm at the same time tying the frame rails. Makes for a much more solid front end. There are lots of mentions on this forum, as well as several variations, to fit your style and needs. If you message him he will be glad to get one on its way for you. Kill two birds with one stone!

·
Premium Member
13,861 Posts

Hard cornering, lightly brushing a curb, or even a medium pothole will cause the stock eccentric bolt set-up to shift.

In my view , the Opentrackercamber plate kit is far superior to the Global West product you have pictured. Which is why I include the Opentracker type camber kit with all my '67- '70 crossmembers

Z

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got mine from Opentracker for my 65. Great product. I'm not an alignment guy but it seems like its an easier way to adjust the alignment than shims.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys. I'll likely go that route.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hard cornering, lightly brushing a curb, or even a medium pothole will cause the stock eccentric bolt set-up to shift.

In my view , the Opentrackercamber plate kit is far superior to the Global West product you have pictured. Which is why I include the Opentracker type camber kit with all my '67- '70 crossmembers

Z
Z, I just PM'd you.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
while i have never used them, it is obvious that they are worth the money to install. anything you can to to prevent suspension settings from changing, short of welding the parts in place, is worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yes, worth it. I tried re-using my original eccentrics but they kept slipping out every time I'd go around a corner and hit a bump. I used the Global West kit. They work nicely.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
One issue I see with them. After you adjust camber, there is a very good chance of ending up with 2 different length arms and different characteristics. I'll take a fixed length
well said. all too often people end up with different length control arms.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
That's Total Control's kit. You can tell immediately because the nuts are nyloc and there's no numbers on the plates.
I can ID all the kits in my sleep....

Here's Global's Loc-2 kit....

I wouldn't recommend running the car without something in that location. And when you start getting into wide tires, non-
stock lower control arms, etc. you're just making the need for it worse.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
13,861 Posts
One issue I see with them. After you adjust camber, there is a very good chance of ending up with 2 different length arms and different characteristics. I'll take a fixed length
+1

additionally, I’m not a fan of essentially using a threaded bolt as part of the LCA, or UCA for that matter, instead of a solid part. It’s not nearly as strong

Z

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
+1

additionally, I’m not a fan of essentially using a threaded bolt as part of the LCA, or UCA for that matter, instead of a solid part. It’s not nearly as strong

Z
if the bolt is large enough and has plenty of threads in contact with each other, that is a non issue. there have been far too many suspension links built with threaded rod ends for adjustibility in all kinds of street and competition machines, including rock climbers, and monster trucks, with an extremely low failure rate.

but i do respect your position though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

1 - 20 of 34 Posts