Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me confused and puzzled. I'm putting in a new front suspension on my 65. Stock design from Scott Drake.

Problem - The torque spec in my shop manual tells me to torque the lower control arm to 60-75 ft lbs. If I tighten the bolt to just 35 ft lbs it's VERY hard to move the lower control arm! So, I'm thinking I want that arm to move freely. But, can't do that if I torque anywhere near the specs. Maybe I shouldn't worry about the specs and just tighten to where it will move freely. That's the way I'm leaning right now. Since the control arm rides on a bolt with a nut and lock washer isn't all I need to worry about just that it doesn't come loose? Maybe some Loctite to make sure?

Surely this issue has come up before. I'm hoping that you guys with experience can guide me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,371 Posts
There is simply no way you can duplicate the dynamic forces at play when a car drives down the road. The rebound capability of coil springs is quite robust. Go by what the Ford Shop Manual says. Note; you should have the full car's weight on the tires before tightening the lower control arm bolts to full spec.

·
Registered
35,830 Posts
Tighten the bolt at the inner end with the full weight of the car on the suspension. The arm does not rotate on the bolt. The center of the inner end bushing should be locked solid to the chassis. The rubber core of the bushing flexes to allow movement.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I can't imagine you applied a couple thousands pounds of force like it will see going down the road at speed.

·
Registered
20,998 Posts
You're assumption is spot on. Yes when tightened they don't move very freely. It does take a fair amount of effort to move them. Take it to the next level you realize it's like a spring. It doesn't want to but when it does move it stores energy and line a spring wants to snap back. I suppose you're thinking this is going to effect ride quality and you're right.

I have a full Street or Track suspension, no rubber bushings anywhere. It's all steel bearing with zero binding. Everything moves very freely. It was a revolution when I first drove it. Gone were the sharp impacts. Now it just seems to glide over bumps and potholes. It ride sooo much softer. Despite going to stiffer springs when I did the suspension, it ride soft. So much so just by sitting on the front fender by the headlight I would bottom out the suspension. I weigh 170 pounds. I never saw that coming.

·
Registered
853 Posts
To make you feel better @Seadog I asked myself the same question the first time I worked on the LCA ;)

·
Dimples
4,824 Posts
Some great feedback here. Cheers to the community for jumping in and making things clear. I have run into the same concerns, and y’all helped clarify in a great way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts