Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thoughts on this? Pros/cons?

'66 Stock C Code. The car is just a cruiser, with some "light" spirited driving. Not even sure if I need to consider reinforced control arms.

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
2,292 Posts
Thoughts on this? Pros/cons?

'66 Stock C Code. The car is just a cruiser, with some "light" spirited driving. Not even sure if I need to consider reinforced control arms.

Way more beneficial parts. Are you thinking about replacing your control arms? If so I'd go with some Opentracker ones with the bearings. They also have reinforced ones but not really needed.

·
I won a special award
8,953 Posts
Not necessary for a gently driven car. But I think they're a good idea to add so as to stiffen up the lower control arm, which is flimsy. I built my own reinforcement plates and welded them on. It made a huge difference in the stiffness of the arm.

Reactions: beechkid

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,171 Posts
If you have them or want to, absolutely won’t hurt. Looks cool if nothing else.

·
Dimples
7,237 Posts
Yeah, there’s no down side. I too made some home made plates and boxed them in. It was fun and easy and felt good to do “while I was in there”.

Strictly necessary? No. But like I said, didn’t hurt and it was fun, so I did it.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,171 Posts
Yeah, there’s no down side. I too made some home made plates and boxed them in. It was fun and easy and felt good to do “while I was in there”.

Strictly necessary? No. But like I said, didn’t hurt and it was fun, so I did it.
Sounds like why I bought my Mustang

Reactions: BlakeTX

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Factory should have made them stronger to begin with. Is there any concern when welding those in about warping the arms? Just wondering. Maybe you only do short tacks or stitch welds on them? Considering the location I think it would be advisable to make sure and shoot the insides of this area with some protection and also seal up that whole seam where the reinforcement plates go up against the control arm.

I missed this one but I did a lot of reinforcement on my front chassis on my car. I may have to go back and do this since I decided to keep the stock lower control arms. Thanks for posting this.

·
I won a special award
8,953 Posts
Is there any concern when welding those in about warping the arms? Just wondering.
I didn't have any concern of warping because you're boxing it in. Different from when you have a large surface area piece of metal you're welding on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts