Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first question is about the lower radiator hose with a coil inside (this is the one I want to prevent hose collapse right?). Where may I find one of those? Should I just take my lower one in to Napa? I have a 302 with driver side lower hose, and matching radiator, so I dont know how to look that hose up other then matching it in person.

And lastly, I have serpentine pulleys on my 302, but the lower pulley is 1/8 " (one groove) inset from the rest so right now I am running a 4 groove serpentine belt (if that makes sense, my belts width is smaller than the pulleys width). Can I just make an aluminum spacer for the crankshaft pulley to bring it out 1/8 of an inch? I want to be able to run the correct belt for this.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Get a lower hose for a 70 Mustang, 302, non-a/c car and it will fit perfect. If you make the spacer for the pulley, be sure it has the lip to center it perfectly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
AFAICT, the coils are not made nor included with radiator hoses anymore, at least not on any modern hose. When I inquired about it here on VMF some time in the past, the general consensus was that it was unnecessary for hoses made from modern materials. I've seen dissent on this specific point, though. My personal opinion is that it's an old wives' tale, and you're better off without something else to rust and clog up your engine and radiator.

There's a back story, I think maybe autoxsteve or huskinhano filled me in, and I'm too damn lazy to recite it, but it was about how the hose was originally not there to serve the purpose that everyone thinks it is.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Another idea on the balancer pulley question. Pull the balancer and have a 1/8" thick "washer" made to fit on the crank. That will move your balancer out 1/8" to align the pulleys. It will be much easier to make than the one with bolt holes and all. PLUS, it will move that nasty groove in your balancer snout away from the seal, making the seal ride on virgin metal. ::

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats is a good idea to pull the balancer. One more question, is this a simple thing to do? Never done it before. It would have to be pulled off right?

Also would it be possible to put a washer on the bolts between pulley and balancer? Or is that a bad idea?

Just looking for options, I have the front of the engine torn down to replace water pump so I want to do this soon and get it right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Be very carefull with pulley's. They are exposed (especially the crank)to an extreme amount of force which can produce fragmentation. Either replace the pulley with the proper unit or get a plate made to go between.....I would use washers only to verify the amount of offset required.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think it was Frank Zappa who said it best "You are the victim of the lies that you believe".....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Your lower radiator hose probably has a coil in it because it's a flex-style hose instead of a pre-bent unit. If the hose looks like the ribs of a flexi-straw, then that's what it is. Flex hoses are made for more of a universal fit and don't necessarily match up to any particular year/make/model.

For the crank pulley ? I'm wondering about where the serpentine setup came from and what routing & accessories you have. If it came from a 5.0, you may need to get a 5.0-style crank dampner with a 28 oz imbalance (late-model engines use a 50 oz imbalance which won't work with your flywheel). I think I saw them at Mustangs Plus

HTH

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lower hose is pre-bent (should have said that earlier), but I think I am going to do what MustangSteve said.

As for the pulley, the guy that did my engine put in a 28 oz imbalance, so its just the pulley is from something else as you said. Looks like I may have to go to the junk yard and pulley a alt, wp, and balancer pulley off a single car, cause the PO prolly mixed and mathched. And I hear you CANT do that with the serpentine pulleys.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
You need a puller to get the balancer off. it is held to the crank with one big bolt. Use a 15/16" socket to get it off. Putting washers between the pulley and balancer is NOT recommended!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts