Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have just recently lowered the car by 1.5 inch in the front and I am having issues with the front tires rubbing against the inner fender lip. I already have someone coming to roll the lip and hopefully this will resolve it. the main reason I lowered was to get a better handling and a lower center of gravity.I have also replaced the Steering gear box and the car drives amazing. On the flip side the car looks so awkward. Now that the front has been lowered, the rear sits way higher. I have 235 15 60 with 4.5 backspacing tires in the back and I am wondering if I could drop it about an inch so the car looks more symmetrical and if so what are my options?
thank you

·
Registered
21,341 Posts
Well.... did you do the Arning drop on the upper control arms? A problem with the Mustang suspension is on compression the suspension goes into positive camber which is pushing the top of the tire out into the fender lip. By relocating the upper arms down 1" greatly reduced the amount of positive camber gain which will greatly reduce rubbing. Not only will this reduce rubbing but it will raise the roll center making the car corner flatter and handle much better. While lowering the upper arms is to make the car handle better, it has the side benefit of lowering the front by about 5/8"

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mid or reverse eye leaf springs.
Given that my rear tires are 235/60/15 with 4.5 backspacing would I have to alter or change the size of tire and or backspacing ? I have had someone tell me that I can’t lower the rear because of my tire size set up. If that does not hold to be true, Any advantage of going with mid vs rear ? Also would you go 4, 41/2 or 5 leaf ? Lastly , since I have someone coming to roll the front fender , should I ask to do the rear in anticipation of the drop and just to be sure ?

·
Registered
36,513 Posts
Well.... did you do the Arning drop on the upper control arms? A problem with the Mustang suspension is on compression the suspension goes into positive camber which is pushing the top of the tire out into the fender lip. By relocating the upper arms down 1" greatly reduced the amount of positive camber gain which will greatly reduce rubbing. Not only will this reduce rubbing but it will raise the roll center making the car corner flatter and handle much better. While lowering the upper arms is to make the car handle better, it has the side benefit of lowering the front by about 5/8"
Until you answer this question, we cannot sensibly suggest how to proceed.
Given that my rear tires are 235/60/15 with 4.5 backspacing would I have to alter or change the size of tire and or backspacing ? I have had someone tell me that I can’t lower the rear because of my tire size set up. If that does not hold to be true, Any advantage of going with mid vs rear ? Also would you go 4, 41/2 or 5 leaf ? Lastly , since I have someone coming to roll the front fender , should I ask to do the rear in anticipation of the drop and just to be sure ?
First, before rolling the fenders, perform the Arning drop if you have not already.

Oh, and the 428 Super Cobra Jet had 4-leaf springs. You really want to go stiffer than that? Never use stiff springs, front or rear, to prevent tires hitting fenders. Proper tire size and wheel backspace is how you prevent that.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
I have 235 15 60 with 4.5 backspacing tires in the back...
What wheel spec and tire size do you have up front? Also post a sideview pic of your car as it sits now, that would be helpful. You just received some sterling knowledge and advice from both @Huskinhano and @22GT. If all you did to lower the front was just cut coils, that would not be optimum. The upper "A" arm modification (Arning/Shelby "Drop") is very, very strongly recommended on these cars to improve handling, and just as Huski said as a by product the front will lower 5/8" just from that alone. Note also that the chart 22GT posted is based on factory stock ride heights. If a car is lowered significantly front or back and you attempt max recommended tire/wheel sizes all bets are off regarding clearance. Again, it would be really helpful to see a side view pic of your car. We can talk front end alignment specifications later.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
  1. What wheel spec and tire size do you have up front? Also post a sideview pic of your car as it sits now, that would be helpful. You just received some sterling knowledge and advice from both @Huskinhano and @22GT. If all you did to lower the front was just cut coils, that would not be optimum. The upper "A" arm modification (Arning/Shelby "Drop") is very, very strongly recommended on these cars to improve handling, and just as Huski said as a by product the front will lower 5/8" just from that alone. Note also that the chart 22GT posted is based on factory stock ride heights. If a car is lowered significantly front or back and you attempt max recommended tire/wheel sizes all bets are off regarding clearance. Again, it would be really helpful to see a side view pic of your car. We can talk front end alignment specifications later.
    I installed a 1 inch lower coil springs, the idler arm, inner/outer tie rods (left and right) and a sway bar. The front wheels are 15x6 with 4.5 backspacing with 195 65 15 tires. i did not do the Shelby drop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the old school Cragar look.

That front end is Waaaay low.
I know. I have a guy coming to roll out the inner fender. Hopefully this will resolve the rubbing issue. Now I don’t know what to do with the back. The guy don’t have a full lift and I don’t trust any mechanic around that they know what to replace in the rear so that the car looks even. I am hoping that you guys can tell me what parts do I need for the rear.

·
Registered
21,341 Posts
What you can try to lower the rear. Loosen the front bolts on the leaf springs with the weight of the car on the tires. Bounce the back of the car. This may help. Chances are everything was tightened up with the axle hanging. This is a common issue on front suspensions. Last year I put new mid eye 4.5 leaf springs in my 66. It sat a little too high for my liking. I remembered I tightened everything with the axle hanging. I loosened the front bolts and bounced the back a few times. I heard the springs slip in the pockets and the back sat a good half inch lower after that.

Arning drop, .620" coils with half loop cut off.

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts

1. I installed a 1 inch lower coil springs, the idler arm, inner/outer tie rods (left and right) and a sway bar. The front wheels are 15x6 with 4.5 backspacing with 195 65 15 tires. i did not do the Shelby drop.
  1. If those are 15x6 American Racing Torq-Thrust II's, I think the back spacing is either 3.26" (-6mm offset) or 3.375" (-3mm offset). I don't believe they make a 15 x 6 with a 4.5" back space, but if they do and that's what you have, any rubbing interference would be on the inside, not the fender lip. Either of the two offsets I mentioned would normally fit quite well with that tire size. Your coil springs are just too danged short.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
  1. If those are 15x6 American Racing Torq-Thrust II's, I think the back spacing is either 3.26" (-6mm offset) or 3.375" (-3mm offset). I don't believe they make a 15 x 6 with a 4.5" back space, but if they do and that's what you have, any rubbing interference would be on the inside, not the fender lip. Either of the two offsets I mentioned would normally fit quite well with that tire size. Your coil springs are just too danged short.
You are absolutely right. The offset is 3 1/4 for the front. I was talking about the rear with 4.5 offset 15x8 wheels. I am not sure what is needed to be replaced in order to drop the rear about an inch to even out the look.
I Am just concerned that if I order the lowering leaf spring and new coil it would not clear the offset of the rear wheels. Any recommendation or suggestion as to how I can lower the rear ? What parts do I need

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
What you can try to lower the rear. Loosen the front bolts on the leaf springs with the weight of the car on the tires. Bounce the back of the car. This may help. Chances are everything was tightened up with the axle hanging. This is a common issue on front suspensions. Last year I put new mid eye 4.5 leaf springs in my 66. It sat a little too high for my liking. I remembered I tightened everything with the axle hanging. I loosened the front bolts and bounced the back a few times. I heard the springs slip in the pockets and the back sat a good half inch lower after that.

Arning drop, .620" coils with half loop cut off and Arning drop
Nice @Huskinhano !
Can you share your tire and rim sizes?

·
Premium Member
6,807 Posts
Any recommendation or suggestion as to how I can lower the rear ? What parts do I need?
If it were my car I'd call NPD and order a pair of #5560-60 Eaton Detroit leaf springs. They have a good 138lb. rate and are 1" lowered. As long as you have them on the phone, also get new GT spec. coils, do the Arning "Drop" before you install them, drive the car like you stole it for a day or two and then see if you want to cut 1/2 coil off or not.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it were my car I'd call NPD and order a pair of #5560-60 Eaton Detroit leaf springs. They have a good 138lb. rate and are 1" lowered. As long as you have them on the phone, also get new GT spec. coils, do the Arning "Drop" before you install them, drive the car like you stole it for a day or two and then see if you want to cut 1/2 coil off or not.
Thank you this is very helpful

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Several people suggestion GT coil springs. I did that and my car was way high in the front.

Went with 620 lowering springs and the stance is perfect. I did do the Shelby /Arning drop. Couldn’t be happier.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts