Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:

I am interested in the groups experiences and techniques for lowering vintange Mustangs - nothing radical - about an inch. My '65 FB came with 14" aluminum "Ranger" wheels and 225/70 tires. I am planning on changing to the 225/60-15 combo that seems to work and look good on '64-'66's (these are also required to clear the forthcoming disc brake conversion.) However, the 60 series will be about 1 inch smaller in diameter leaving a larger gap between the tire and fender. What have members used to fix this? Also, any comments on kit vendors and quality would be appreciated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mid-eye leaf springs in the rear will drop approx. one inch; I suggest 4 1/2 leaf for ride and wheel hop control. A negative wedge kit for the front will drop approx. one inch.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
If you size your wheels/tires correctly the outer diameter should not change at all. If it does, then you did not size them correctly. A smaller o/d will make your speedo read fast and your mpg go down.

WRT dropping your ride, you can do it a couple of different ways:

Front:
  1. Use 1" shorter springs and do the Shelby drop. Depending on the condition of your current springs this will either lower the car about 1.5" or raise it. If your current springs are tired and sagging already then new springs, even the shorter ones, may raise the car.
  2. Have your current springs cut.
Rear:
  1. keep your existing leafs and use a 1" drop block (not my favorite method)
  2. mid-eye springs (Use the ones from Mustangs Plus, they are made such that they won't affect your pinion angle)
  3. non-mid-eye springs that are made to lower the car 1" (not a great thing, since it pretty much straightens the springs to achieve the drop)
I would vote for option #1 on the front and #2 on the back.

Regardless of which method you choose to use, be sure that your tires/wheels are properly sized and have your speedo calibrated when all is said and done.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I used a combination of 1-inch shorter springs and the Shelby A-arm mount to lower my front end about 1.375 inches. I have 15x7 styled steel wheels with 2.15-60 tires. There is no gap above the wheel.

Warning - you may have fender clearance problems with 2.25s on the front if your wheels don't have adequate back-spacing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen the shorter front coils offered, but I had only seen the rear block method (that did not impress me). I will check on the rear springs you referenced. I have seen a number of 65-66's with the 225/60-15 & 15x7 wheels, and have noted the backspace issue.

Thanks for the info!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/65MUS073.jpg

1 inch drop coils in the front, 1 inch drop mid eye leafs in the rear. 215-50-15 tires on 15x7 ttd with 3.75 back.

No issues. Will be going another inch after the motor issues I am having have been resolved.

G

·
0 Posts
I went with a 5 leaf mid-eye in the rear, and Mustang Plus 620 coils up front. I'm sporting 16" wheels with 225/50 rubber. Mounted Baer 13" discs up front. No excess gap. More importantly, the car sits level all the way around and rides like a champ. Plus it looks good...

Apologies for not figuring out how to post a pic here, but here's a link if you want to take a look.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mattsamjake/vwp?.dir=/Mustang&.dnm=Passenger+Profile.jpg&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/mattsamjake/vwp%3f.dir=/Mustang%26.dnm=June%2b2001.jpg%26.src=ph

Matt

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Click the pic in my sig and checkout the pics of my car on "page 2" of that webpage. My suspension is 5 leaf standard eye springs, which don't drop it at all in the back I wanted the "raised back, muscle car look". But I DID lower the front approximately 1" using the 620lb coil springs, but I didn't do the A-arm relocation mod yet. I'm thinking once I do it might go 1.25 lower but it's not a big deal. I run 205/55/16x7 front and 225/50/16x8 rear. After the shelby mod, I'm planning on changing tires to 215 front 245 rear if my calculations work. But yeah just use those pictures as reference to kind of see what look you're going for. It really helped me when everyone posted pics of how their wheels/suspension looked so I could decide before I bought it all what I wanted it to look like. Just note that in my pics the driveway is slanted, its kinda weird. Also, if you weren't aware of the high quality Mustangs Plus suspension kits everyone is so fond of, you're probably missing out on a lot. Check their website or call them up and request a catalog, www.mustangsplus.com they have all sorts of neat stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts