Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe with a 289 and a C4. i want to lower the car about an inch to an inch and a half or two inches. what is the best way to go about this? I know i can buy springs for the front, which are the best? can i lower by relocating the upper control arm like 65-66 shelbys? i want my car to handle like my dads 90 5.0 in the turns and i also want a decent ride. what is the best way to go about it?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
The handling gurus can share some specifics, but if it was me, I would buy a couple books on modifying the early Pony for improved handling and learn about the physics and engineering behind the changes...

One quick answer....re-locating the upper arms does not lower the car...it changes suspension geometry...the handling books will explain these changes in detail...

When you have a full understanding of what you want to do with the car and the compromises that are required of a vintage Pony to handle like your Dad's late model, then bring on those questions on specific parts needed...

You're talking about a major change to your car and IMO, it should be thought out thoroughly before proceeding...

For example, take a look at this major change to the front suspension on my race car....this took me nearly a year of development and experimentation to perfect back in the late 70's....

Pat
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570936&a=11937754&p=42910787.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What springs (front and back) do you have now? Are they standard? Do you have pictures of your car? I am working on my suspension and looking into the possibilities. From what I've learned recently the #620 front springs lower the front about 1" and stiffen the ride. Then there are all sorts of rear leafs you can get from various dealers (stock, higher, lower, stiffer, etc). Also, of course, you can get into anti-sway bars, torsion bars, etc, etc.

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Camachinist has some good points (like normal), You can do the 1" drop front springs and the mid or reverse eye leaf spring. Buy a set of front and rear springs that are matched to each other. Lowering
more then a inch might be more problem then it's worth. Depending on you tires, rolling the fender edges
might be in order even with a 1" drop. If your running headers or subframe connectors ground clearence
becomes a issue. Nothing like getting your car high centered coming out of a gas station (just did this myself). done right a small drop can improve handleing and looks, done in excess it's PITA.

1966 Mustang Coupe, 302 custom roller cam, holley 650dp,http://www.289mustang.com
http://www.289mustang.com/images/vmfcar.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

This is what I did to my 67 coupe. I have redone the entire suspension. I bought all new parts from Mustangs Plus. I bought 620 lb front coils, new upper and lower control arms, magna shocks, coil spring perches. I also bought a Pro Motorsports Negative Wedge Kit. The total lowering of my car in the front is about 3 inches. I also put in a 1 1/8 in. sway bar. 5 leaf springs in the back with mid eye option. My car handles excellent. One day I will get around to putting the rear sway bar. But I would suggest getting a catalog from Mustangs Plus and looking at their suspension kits. The ride I have is not to stiff. You will have to wait a little while for everything to work in. At first it will be real stiff but after a little time it rides really nice. You will also have to get a lower profile tire. I use BFG Comp TA 225/50 R15's on my car. If there is anything else you would like to ask me just let me know. Hope I could help.

Bryan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what I did to my 68.620 front coils Moog lower control arms 5-leaf heavy duty rear springs with mid-eye Magna gas shocks 1 1/8"front sway bar and rear sway bar.I am close to replacing the upper control arms with the TCP aftermarkets with the lowering to get a better geom.Doc h(Red 68)

Doc h

1 - 6 of 6 Posts