Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a pair of 2'' lowering blocks on my 67 and it doesn't handle right. It seems to wander a bit. Anyone else run these or have problems with handling?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So everyone helped me a great deal on my front spring issue. Can anyone advise on these lowering blocks? I know people said over 1&1/2'' would suspension set up on the front. Is that the same for the rear?

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Lowering blocks are not the right way to do it. De-arched springs
or even reverse eye are a better solution.
Blocks fool with the rear roll center. This is something you don't
want to mess with as it can cause really interesting handling....
spooky characteristics that you won't like one bit.
Blocks also increase leverage on the spring and make it wrap-up
a lot easier. If you want to avoid traction nightmares, don't use
them.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1994

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, sounds good. What would a reverse eye be?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Depending on what springs you're running now, you have a choice of
standard:Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
mideye:Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories
reverse eye:Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Look at the front eye mount you'll see the 3 differences. Standard eye are 1-2" high tire to fender lip, mideye are 1" to level with the fender lip (top tread of tire) and reverse eye will normally drop the tires into the fenderwell ~1". This all varies slightly car to car and depending on wheel size and ratio.
Jon

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I doubt that the blocks are causing the "wandering" problem. You need more caster (at least 3 degrees) or something in the front end is worn.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't seem to be coming from the front. It seems to move from the back. I just had the front end aligned. We asked the shop and they didn't think it would have come from there. I know it didn't really do that before with a similiar front end set up. I can only see the lowering blocks really being that different.

I am going to pull the blocks off this week and take it for a spin. If it still wanders, then I know it is on the front end of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts