Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 Coupe front end mavens!
Old posts indicate that 620# springs are too stiff for a daily driver, and that progressive Eibachs or maybe 520#s would be better along w/ dropping the A arm 1” and/or shortening spring length plus a wedge kit. I know this is a beaten subject, but, for this great new forum layout folks ---- What’s the best way to get the front 1”– 2” inches lower, improve handling (I have a big sway bar already), handle bumps, spare my front tires, etc. Suggestions on suppliers/kits would be appreciated. Thanks!

66 Coupe, 351W, C4, 9" Versailles+Auburn

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put 620 coils from Mustangs Unlimited on my 65 289 coupe last week and find the the ride is OK. I live in New England and it is my daily driver and the potholes are pretty bad right about now. I already did the shelby mod last year. The front dropped @ 1 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had already got Shelby coils from Tony Branda so I went the lowering route and cut a full turn off the coils. I also have lowered my upper control arms. A full turn was a bit too much off the coil. I should have maybe only cut 1/2 a coil. I wound up putting the taller poly coil insulators up in there and I'm happy with it now. I also just got 5 leaf mid eye rear springs that I haven't installed yet.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
I've been running them for the last two seasons. My overall impression is that I am not impressed. These springs settle a lot. After a couple months you are down another .75" or so.

I also am not a big fan of progressive rate springs. They have a real wobbly spring feel. They give a lot immediately before they start to dig in and get firm. I have them on my 2000 GT as well but they seem better suited to that car.

I am likely going to switch to the TCP coilover kit. Coilovers rock! Set them where you want... I cancelled my order due to the backlog at TCP but I am reconsidering.

G

·
0 Posts
I recently emailed eibach and they informed me that the drop springs for old small block fords have been discontinued so unless a local speed shop has some still in stock you might be out of luck.

~Chris
San Antonio, Tx
66 coupe 289
70 fastback done by may/graduation...hopefully

1 - 5 of 5 Posts