Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I drop the upper control arms an inch on my stock 68 CJ carwith out pulling the motor out? Has anyone done this? I am currently running a P215/75R15 tire, will I have to go smaller?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Because of the additional camber gained in this change you should be able to fit a larger tire afterwards. Stock configuration pushes the top outer edge of wheel/tire outwards where it would rub the fender lip. After Shelby drop it will angle inboard; taking advantage of more room in the fender well.

Don't have to remove the motor. Do a search on "Shelby drop" here for more details....

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Keep in mind the "shelby Drop" is not designed primarily for lowering the car, it is designed for increased performance in the steering by optimizing the angles in the steering lingages.

The end results will only nose your front down about 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I can't say for sure on the tire, but you don't have to pull the motor to drill the new holes for the control arm. The drilling is done from inside the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
However, with that big mill, you might have some problems with the inside nuts with the manifolds in the way (removing and replacing). Check Clearance here before you start.

·
Registered
757 Posts
P.
Your overweight (the car)..hmm.. big block is no match for either small block in my garage. Those big fat Shelby's of 68 were not meant for real performance driving..heck Shelby didn't even build them like my '66. But if you reeeeally WANT holes...I will be happy to butcher up those peerty shock towers of yours!!

R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts