Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knows of springs for the front and rear to lower the car. id rather not do a shelby drop. im looking to drop my new 69 to give a more aggressive stance. maybe an 1" in the front and 2" in the rear or a 2" and 3" drop but i might run into some clearance issues with the 2 and 3. any idea on how much these cost if they are out there?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
We used the 1" lowering springs in the front, stock style leaf in the back. Then cut 1" of coil off the front and used 1" lowering blocks in the back.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I used all the stuff in the Global West Stage 4 race package. Part of the kit was springs, front and rear. The fronts are 620 lb., with a 1" lower. I still cut nearly 3/4" of a coil out, in order to get the car level. The back springs are 5-leaf, with a 1.5" lower.

Note, I also did the Shelby drop, which drops the position of the upper control arms, not the height of the car. <--- THE BIGGEST MIS-UNDERSTANDING IN MUSTANG LAND ;)

rk

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Of course the Shelby drop is not intended to lower the front suspension (which it does only slightly incidentally) but to provide a better camber angle.

Most of the major Mustang parts suppliers sell 1" drop coils or you can cut a quarter or half turn off of your existing coils (the cheapest way). Rear springs: you can use lowering blocks or buy mid-eye or reverse-eye leaf springs OR bring your existing springs to a good spring shop for de-arching (again probably the cheapest way).

Leaf springs: http://www.mustangsplus.com/etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts