Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my 67 coupe for 2 weeks now. This weekend I did a badly needed tune up on the engine and replace most of the things that could be replaced easily.

So, now the car runs really nice. I was out driving around town last night and god I was embarrased! Every time I turn when going slow there is a squeeky noise coming from the car. I think it's some component of the steering linkage that has not be lubed in a long time. I have manual steering.

So what's the best way to fix this problem? Also the suspension squeeks when going over speedbumps etc. I think the whole thing needs some lube.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Odds are the upper control arm bushings need to be lubed. This can be a chore on these cars because the grease fittings are impossible to get to unless the zerks have been replaced with 90 degree fittings. If you have ever seen a mustang with holes cut in the front of the shock towers that is why they are there. You could rent a spring compressor and then remove the spring followed by the upper control arms. Then remove the grease fittings, install 90 degree fittings so in the future you can grease it up easily. If someone already butchered your shock towers (I have never seen the holes cut nicely) then you should be able to grease them through the holes.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Also since it sounds like there has been a lack of lube, chances are you have a front end rebuild in your near future. Not a bad job and the only non standard tool you will need is an INTERNAL spring compressor.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
the sqeeking at low speed could be loose/worn fan belt. check it by observation for cracks and by noting 1/2 to 1 inch deflection of fan belt - do not overtighen or you will destroy water pump bearing

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just got done with the same problem. I got an aftermarket bushing kit and did all the front end bushings. Ahh, it's like an entirely new car! It wasn't as big a job as I thought it might be.
You may not need to do all the bushings, but I'd sure hit those upper control arm bushings w/ some grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts