Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I setup our luggage for our 6,000 mile road trip from Nor Cal to Minnesota and back that we just completed.
The 2 large suitcases are some that my folks used(with plastic covers) on their 1934 Ford Cabriolet on a rear luggage rack when they traveled. The straps are also what they used and I modified them for the Mustang.

You can also see the 3 point seat belts that I added(in my custom hidden way) after 25+ years of driving with the original lap belts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,757 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Looks good to me. Just make sure those suitcases are secure so the passenger/driver don't end up like Tom Mix when he crashed his vehicle.

https://tucson.com/morguetales/tales-from-the-morgue-adios-tom-mix/article_e855bc0e-8c0f-11e6-8d76-27ff9f7d9a46.html
Learned lesson years ago when I was installing carpet and driving a 67 Econoline, one with engine in the middle of seats. Had a 5 foot long steel straight edge, one end 90 degrees one 45. Due to summer heat, in and out of construction sites and peoples homes, I routinely carried couple extra dry shirts, deodorant and cologne. One day we had piled tools up in back in a hurry, straight edge on TOP of tool boxes. Somebody ran a stop sign and I had to stand on the brakes. That straight edge became a missile, sharp 45 end jumping the engine hump and embedding itself in front console where I had the toiletries stored. For weeks afterward the van reeked with the smell of that cologne and it was months before my sinuses recovered, the first week or two feeling like I had breathed in fire and scorched my lungs and breathing passages. I am quite sure, that if it had been located to the drivers side about a foot, I would have pierced the seat I was sitting in.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
This morning I was talking with the wife about her 65 hardtop I am restoring all stockish per her instructions. :wink: She reminded me she wants a luggage rack on the decklid.....it doesn't matter if she goes away just 1 night, my girl packs several bags, coats, everythig from the bathroom, etc etc Your sparsely packed, beautiful fastback is impressive. The seatbelts are indeed nicer than the way I did mine as well! However, l was expecting to see something along the lines of travels with Kelly H, now that was inspirational in packing a fastback!r

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.....it doesn't matter if she goes away just 1 night, my girl packs several bags, coats, everythig from the bathroom, etc etc Your sparsely packed, beautiful fastback is impressive.
We did have a few more things than that in the rear seat area during the trip. The hidden rear seat area is a great place to put a few flat things like the laptop, jackets folded up or books. There were a few outer things like jackets and sweat shirts rolled up behind the small suitcase and my old school Adidas gym bag(from the '70s used for wrestling gear in HS & College) down one side. But nothing in front of the speakers. Small ice chest behind the driers seat and snacks and maps behind the passenger.

If I had not put my golf clubs in the trunk the back seat would have been just the 3 cases. Also I have a matching 205-75-14 spare, so it takes a little more room in the trunk.

Going to do a post on the road trip soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts