Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my neverending quest to jam my garage solid with dead and broken smallblocks, yet another deal. I ran into a guy I used to work for and he mentioned a Mustang at his shop he was about to send for scrap and did I want any of it?
Me? No! It turned out to be an 83 GT with a locked up engine. They had used the 5 speed and rear end for something and were getting rid of the rest of it. He said I could pull the engine for $75. I wasn't too impressed but went to check it out. Opened the hood and it was ALL there. I asked if $75 included everything. "Yeah, whatever but the car is gone Friday". Today I took lunch (a rare thing) and pulled that sucker in 45 minutes flat. After I got everything loose, he grabbed it with a forklift and dumped it into my truck. Zoomed back to work with 1 minute to spare.
From the motor mounts up it's complete. All the serpentine belt stuff, a good looking factory 4BBL with dual snorkel air cleaner, good AC compressor, alternator, flywheel, bell housing---ALL of it. The best part is I've got a good .040 over long block to bolt all this onto. Actually I'm going to put it into SWMBO's 86. She just turned her nose up at it. Maybe she'll like it better when those secondaries open up. Her car is a 2BBL 302 now with V-belts. I shall soon correct that. It's not exactly Boss or HO stuff, but hey $75 tickled hell outa me. Usually I can't even find a good 4BBL for less than a hundred.
I sure am tired for some reason.

·
6,854 Posts
Wow. It took me all weekend the one time I pulled my engine out of my '65. Say 10 hours maybe? My goal for next time is to cut it to 5. I don't think I'll ever make it to 1.

Heck I spent more than 2 hours trying (and failing) to get the torque convertor nuts off. Still, there's nothing like that feeling of doing something new.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/DSC19407.JPG
free at last...free at last....Thank the Lord, it's free at last.

Next time, maybe you could drive over, we'll take it easy and spend an hour and a half pulling the engine. That'll give us the rest of the weekend to sit around and drink beer. Whatdayathink?

Phil

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I pulled my engine in about 20 minutes! Of course all that was holding it in were two motor mounts, hehe. I wonder if one could put one in during lunch break, LOL! Congrats on the find, I mean steal./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts