Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Lurking Dangers before buying

927 19
So I am very interested in buying this 1971 Mustang Hardtop w. 351 Cleveland 2V and FMX. The car had a restoration in the late 80’s and some updating 2002. I checked it out twice and took some pictures and was hoping that someone with more knowledge and previous experience can chime in if there are any red flags in the photos. Any and all help, comments, tips and advice are greatly appreciated.

Automotive tire Grey Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Asphalt

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Car

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grey Automotive exterior Bumper

Photograph Building Wood Architecture Rectangle

Water Road surface Automotive tire Grey Wood

Gas Tints and shades Automotive exterior Auto part Space

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Wood
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Nothing in those pics raise any issues for me. It looks like a well kept original that's had a few repairs over the years.

One thing that will need to be repaired is the strut rod crossmember on the driver's side. Ford had a recall about this problem in 1971, guessing this car never made it in. It's a simple fix and just about any shop with a MIG welder can handle it.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing in those pics raise any issues for me. It looks like a well kept original that's had a few repairs over the years.

One thing that will need to be repaired is the strut rod crossmember on the driver's side. Ford had a recall about this problem in 1971, guessing this car never made it in. It's a simple fix and just about any shop with a MIG welder can handle it.

View attachment 855319
Thanks for the info it did look out of place when I looked at it. Do you have a picture of how it should look ? I would think that the tab on the bracket that’s open should be welded to the rail above ?

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
^^Interesting....I wonder if the OP's local FORD dealership would honor and do that recall at N/C today? Imagine all the good PR they could get out of doing that.

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^Interesting....I wonder if the OP's local FORD dealership would honor and do that recall at N/C today? Imagine all the good PR they could get out of doing that.

John
i was trying to find information on that recall it totally be worth it just to see the reaction of the people in the service department.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I would imagine that a safety recall is mandatory and would be honored for the life of the car. I might have some concern about the quality of the work.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I would imagine that a safety recall is mandatory and would be honored for the life of the car. I might have some concern about the quality of the work.
I was told that I missed the recall window on the undersized cruise control wire that caused fires on my old 2002 F-150 by several years? It would be humorous to roll into your local Ford dealer and see what happens. Given the MASSIVE amount of recalls your local understaffed Ford dealer is currently dealing with you might get flipped off! My trans on my 2021 F-150 is herky jerky on starts and stops when not pulling a trailer. Drop it off and they do the first thing they are told to. Pick it up with no improvement and wait 3 weeks to drop it off again for the next step. The heiresses is due for a new car and it will not be a Ford! Sorry for the rant🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did not see anything alarming. One thing I will say, it has a spare tire/jack/lug wrench set up...... I am amazed at how many cars I see for sale that do not regardless of price.....kind of a pet peeve for me I guess....

Pat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That number won`t do me any good at work and I don`t know what the sequence looked like back then but currently a safety recall has a number like 22S43,21s12,19s28 ect where the first number is the year , S is for safety, and the last number is how many in the year.

Thank you for the reply I think it was just a curiosity thing if Ford would be willing I am more than happy to weld it myself but always love digging up some history.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It should be flush to the frame rail, and securely welded in place.

View attachment 855328

View attachment 855327
Quick question for you since you caught the
strut rod crossmember or anyone else you wants to chime in I was curious about the trunk and inner fenders on both side. Does that look original to you or are those all reproduction panels ? They all have a speckled greyish white paint on them and it covers the marker lights and wiring as well so I can’t think that it would be original from the factory like that. One is stamped 95 so not sure if that would be a year stamp on a reproduction panel?

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
The speckle paint was factory, but that isn't the original color, which was much darker. No, it shouldn't be sprayed all over the lights, but the factory did use spray on sound deadener in the trunk, and I've seen plenty with that on the side marker and taillight housings.

That panel with 9 5 2R isn't reproduced.

Without better photos, I can't tell you if the quarters have been replaced. I think I see a weld on the edge of the PS trunk drop off, but that's not unusual to have been replaced.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
1st, No one would bother to restore a '71 in the 80's :0)
If it had a repaint one of those times. Look for the tiniest bubbles of paint at the lower rear of the back window or door bottoms. Any spot the size of a pimple will need many inches worth of repair underneath.
It appears to me that it has replaced/rebuilt steering and supposition with some headers thrown on top. The trunk has been spray bombed with the fleck paint, over-spray on the wiring likely hiding minor rust.
Nothing of danger to be seen from the underside. I would be tempted to tap around on it with a mallet, like testing a watermelon.
Thata quite the layering of undercoat happening. Kinda like it built up a 1/4" layer of road grime then they undercoated it again. It might be pristine sheet metal under all that stuff and I'd never bother touching it. Maybe just around sonme of those compound curves and lap joints, looks like seem sealer cracking out. NBD.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
1st, No one would bother to restore a '71 in the 80's :0)
If it had a repaint one of those times. Look for the tiniest bubbles of paint at the lower rear of the back window or door bottoms. Any spot the size of a pimple will need many inches worth of repair underneath.
It appears to me that it has replaced/rebuilt steering and supposition with some headers thrown on top. The trunk has been spray bombed with the fleck paint, over-spray on the wiring likely hiding minor rust.
Nothing like cancer danger to be seen from the underside. I would be tempted to tap around on it with a mallet, like testing a watermelon.
Thata quite the layering of undercoat happening. Kinda like it built up a 1/4" layer of road grime then they undercoated it again. It might be pristine sheet metal under all that stuff and I'd never bother touching it. Maybe just around sonme of those compound curves and lap joints, looks like seem sealer cracking out. NBD.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
i sort of miss my old 71 that dad bought new
had the best PS and brakes of any classic i ever drove
had 97K before i lost it to a 73 Nova and the steering was still tight

1 - 20 of 20 Posts